Chevy C10 Truck Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mine was a 1950 chev half ton that my dad let me drive when I was fourteen. That was in 1964 . Dont laugh to hard but I pulled it under a big tree and washed it ,then went to the local Ace hardware store and bought a quart of Devoe white and a gallon of red and a paintbrush.It look good at about 100 yards. I guess it was the red neck coming out of me , sure was fun.
later, Blaine.

·
Sheet Metal Junkie
1,128 Posts
Wow Blaine, I'm gonna bet that paint held up for some time. Do you still have the truck ?
Hard to figure what my first restore was, I grew up in a resto-shop in my early teens.
My first semi resto-rod was a 65 GTO, when the motors timing chain went, I swapped the motor for a 396. The body was very clean, but big tires and Cragar wheels were what fixed my Goat. :D That was when I was 17, and it helped with my addiction to swap and modify. :D

·
Registered
797 Posts
Not really a full restore,but close.I used to maintain fleet of old construction equipment.Would go through engine and trans,do brakes,overhaul the mounted unit whether it be a bucket truck,hole digger or digger derek,sandblast and paint.Cost would be 25 to 30 grand back in 70s and 80s,but about a third of cost to replace.First full restore,Im doing it now on 78 Silverado

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
My first one was a car, 40 chevy coupe, 365 horse 327, muncie, 56 chevy rear axle, 411 gears...a real fun car to drive. In 1967...

·
Registered
49 Posts
My first big project car was my high school driver, a 1954 Chevy. I rebuilt the engine and transmission, installed a Dragfast floor shifter, installed a Bel Air blended windshield (my first ever), knocked the dents out and painted the original pea soup green paint gloss black enamel.

This was in 1966 before I owned a camera, so no before pictures:

My first total teardown rebuild was a 1946 Ford sedan. It started out as someone else’s parts car and was missing almost all the trim and small parts:

After completion it served as the family car for 8 years and 300,000 miles and went everywhere, powered by a 350/350/9" Ford:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts