Chevy C10 Truck Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,
Would anyone know off the top of their heads where a sticky or some threads about the v8 swap process might be? I've been using the search forum feature but havent master it yet I guess because I'm coming up dry. I'm just trying to get as much info as I can before I start gathering parts.

Also what rear end gear ratio would the 65' with the 230 IL6 come with?

Thanks a lot

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
Tom we don`t have a swap thread yet but its pretty straight forward, you`ll need to change your lower engine mounts to the V8 style, either the early `63 to `72 or 73 to 87, then use the corresponding upper mounts, the V8 tucks used a different radiator mounts ( larger ) its the lower saddles at the front and a different mount at the top... I`ll try to round up some images for you..

·
Registered
93 Posts
the engine mounts & frame brackets on a 1965 250 or 230 six are exactly the same as the V8. The flywheel and bellhousing are the same also. The passenger side frame mount is different on a 292 only. If you have the small radiator it will not successfully cool a V8 . A V8 radiator and fan shroud is needed. you will need the V8 pivot ball that the Z bar attaches to. 66 and older you need rams horn manifolds the point straight down.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info, what sounds like a pretty simple job turned out to be a little trickier...My truck was originally the 230 but somewhere along the line that was replaced with a 292 from a 72'(I think) c10...back to the parts search. Thanks again!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Thanks for the info, what sounds like a pretty simple job turned out to be a little trickier...My truck was originally the 230 but somewhere along the line that was replaced with a 292 from a 72'(I think) c10...back to the parts search. Thanks again!
don't throw away that passenger side frame bracket. The 292 bracket is a rare item. I run a lot of the 250 engines. they have plenty of power and don't consume much fuel. nobody want to buy them. So I use them. I install a later HEI ignition and add a quart of diesel or two cycle oil to every tankful of gas. that diesel saves the valve seats.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
don't throw away that passenger side frame bracket. The 292 bracket is a rare item. I run a lot of the 250 engines. they have plenty of power and don't consume much fuel. nobody want to buy them. So I use them. I install a later HEI ignition and add a quart of diesel or two cycle oil to every tankful of gas. that diesel saves the valve seats.
Old Truck Man, when I get around to doing the swap I can send the bracket your way. I typically just scrap stuff like that to scrape together some cash for whatever I need next but if it could be used I'd much rather just pass it on. It'll be a while but I will remember that you might want it

1 - 7 of 7 Posts