Chevy C10 Truck Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have an image of the Vbelt setup for a 72 with AC and power steering, I am trying to set mine up and I want to make sure I have the correct water pump and pulleys for the ac, alternator and power steering, thanks.

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
Maybe this will help....let me know..

Attachments

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
Yes, that does, it looks like the long pump, is that on a 350?
350 long pump, 1979, but its all the same as yours, the short pump was changed out in `73 I believe by GM..all `72 and older were short pumps

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
Long water pump, you can get your finger between the timing cover and the back of the pump, short water pump you cannot.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeas, I have a short pump but it hits the timing cover before sealing it to the block and the pulley rubs on the crank pulleys. I was thinking maybe I need a long neck water pump, but now not sure. I know that I need the dual pulley for the ac, I believe that the previous owner removed that and installed a single one on it, however that was on a 305, would that be the same setup as a 350 or are they different pulleys?

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
Short and long pumps require different pulleys, also if your ( short ) pump hits the timing cover before sealing ( its probably a Stewart pump ) I believe they were off shore replacements from the Ho Chi Min trail....not sure what hardware you have either short or long or a mix, you`ll have to take a hard look at it. You can buy pump spacers to reuse that pump if you know its good..and space it out to long pump specs...here....
http://www.jonesracingproducts.com/wp.html#spcSbc
then figure out pulleys.
You can also order a new short pump from summit, and eliminate the issue altogether...https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-312354/overview/make/chevrolet

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Not sure, that's the way it came from the builder, I am not a familiar with chevy motors as I am with pontiac. How hard is it to change out?

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
Not hard but you`ll probably have to drop the pan too...you may try doubling up on the gaskets, some I know have done it that way worked for them, and look for thick gaskets, they do sell them.

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think I will give that a try, I believe that it's because the builder installed a double roller timing chain and perhaps that's why the timing cover looks larger. Then just shim where needed to line up the belts.

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
I would change the cover. If you shim out the pump it will misalign the pullys Even a double roller chain WHICH I always use doesn't require taller cover. Maybe a gear drive but I have never played with them

1 - 14 of 14 Posts