Chevy C10 Truck Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wondering if anyone may be able to help me out. I have a 64 C10. Original column and steering wheel. The previous owner replaced the turn signal switch with one from LMC. The right turn signal seems to work ok but you have to hold the lever down when making a left turn in order for the turn signal to work. I removed the steering wheel and with the wheel off the turn signals work perfectly. Through playing around with different scenarios, if the cancel cam that is attached to the back of the steering wheel is put in position the turn signal issue comes back. Remove cancel cam and signals go back to working perfectly. All of my online research looks like I have the correct turn signal switch and cancel cam. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
129 Posts
My opinion, because I've had the exact same experience, is that these cheap Asian parts sometimes don't work well. I replaced a non working switch with one that acted like yours and used it (holding it down) until I decided to replace it with another that worked fine.

Tejas

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Tejas. Can I ask where you bought the part that finally worked correctly? Did you just replace the turn signal switch or did you replace the cancel cam and switch?

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
When setting up the column switch I believe you need to have your front wheels centered and the steering wheel centered when putting it back on, seems to me I`ve read this someplace..or I just don't know...anim_63 pull the wheel and inspect the switch carefully it could be something simple, take pics when you do for referance.

If you end up replacing it go here...made in USA...http://www.corvettecolumns.com/switches.html

·
Registered
129 Posts
Good point 406Rich. I don't really remember where I bought it. Classic Industries? LMC? I think they get them all from the same little factory in China.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Thinking about it, the company that I exchanged it for a new one with didn't even want the old one sent back. Making me think this is a part that is often marginal.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks 406Rich. Do you know if the switch from the company in the link will be the correct wiring for my C10? It didn't look like they had a way to order online or pictures of the switch.

The wheels and steering wheel were straight before I disassembled everything. I didn't see anything broken or loose. I am going to experiment some more tonight and if I cannot figure it out I will be ordering a new switch. Hopefully from your suggested company.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah Tejas, unfortunately that is an all too common problem.....made in China with Chinese quality.

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
Thanks 406Rich. Do you know if the switch from the company in the link will be the correct wiring for my C10? It didn't look like they had a way to order online or pictures of the switch.

The wheels and steering wheel were straight before I disassembled everything. I didn't see anything broken or loose. I am going to experiment some more tonight and if I cannot figure it out I will be ordering a new switch. Hopefully from your suggested company.
Looks too be phone only but....
http://corvettecolumns.com/

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just wanted to post an update. I bought a new cancel cam from LMC as that was the cheapest place to start. This seemed to help some. It is still not perfect but both signals now work without having to hold the turn signal lever. I also didn't crank down on the steering wheel retaining nut like the previous owner seemed to have done. This also helped a little. Unfortunately I cannot take it for a road test yet because my radiator has decided to leak from the bottom seam. Can anyone recommend a good place to get a radiator?...lol. Thanks again for all the help and suggestions!

I really do need radiator suggestions, should I start a new thread for that?

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
Howie if you can`t get it rebuilt locally relatively cheap then I would go with a Champion radiator, they are aluminum but they are a good radiator here is their website note you`ll need to order by year and 6 vs 8 cylinder, if your truck was converted to a V8 let us know before you order the radiator.
http://www.championradiators.com/Chevy-trucks-radiators

·
Registered
129 Posts
I have a sweet aluminum radiator with electric fan set-up on my truck from www.ChampionCooling.com. I believe that the guys here turned me on to them. I've had it for over a year and never had an issue. It's shiny aluminum, not the original look, but works well and the price is right.

Tejas

1 - 14 of 14 Posts