Chevy C10 Truck Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. I don't know where to put my question, so I thought this area would be the best.

Truck: 1984 c10 short wide step-side. factory motor 305, factory trans. automatic., original carburator, dual tanks. Truck is pretty much all original.

My issue it, the truck starts and runs fine for about 20 min. but after that it shuts down by itself like if I turned it off. I try to crank it over, but no luck, I acts like it want to crank over but after a min. or so I smell where it floods out. After about 40 min. it will crank up and I can drive it again for another 20 min. Kind of lost of what is going on. I have check for any loose electrical issues, I put a new battery, got alt. tested, checked any fuses that might be loose or burned. I get spark when it shuts down, I did the screw driver in the wire test method, check cap and rotor. Anyone ever run into something similar.

Thinking it might be a bad ignition coil? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
Sounds like carb, float is sunk ( saturated plastic float ) or needle and seat ( seat is made of rubber or syntheetic rubber and is old and hard, won`t seal ) gas is continuing to feed into carb and floods engine out, after a time it will dry out allowing you to start it again until the same event starts all over again.

·
Registered
15 Posts
It sounds to me like the module in the distributor is going bad. They will run fine then get hot shut down then once it cools down starts up and runs fine.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Agree with Troy.Biggest problem with those years I saw was rotor burn thru and ignition modules.Especially the ESC models.Just a little confused on the spark with screwdriver unless it has already gone thru cool down

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Truck shuts down.

thank you for the reply's. I will look into both situations. The carburator has been acting pretty bad, sputtering, so It might be time for a carb rebuild or a new one. I will check the module, I do have a new distributor laying around, I can swap out and see what goes on.

Thanks guys for the help.:D

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Agree with Troy.Biggest problem with those years I saw was rotor burn thru and ignition modules.Especially the ESC models.Just a little confused on the spark with screwdriver unless it has already gone thru cool down
I did the spark test after I pulled it home, so yeah it probably cooled down, it took me about 30 to pull it home.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Update

i got the truck running now. What I ended up doing is taking out the ignition module and getting it tested. It was bad, I ended up getting a replacement and the only one they had was their house brand. Well that one ended up being bad as well, another module later and it is running, a little ruff but now it doesn't turn off after 20-30 min. I do need a new carb so that is the next thing on the list. I have to adjust the distributor, when I go to crank it up, it acts like there is alot of load, dims the lights, then bamm! it cranks over and we are ready to go. So I think a distributor adjustment and a carb will do the trick.

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
Glad you got it fiqured out....!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts