Chevy C10 Truck Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I just purchased a 1964 c10 with 230 inline6. I changed the oil, replaced the spark plugs and added an external fuel filter. It starts up runs in idle, but when I get going for about 1/4 mile she shuts off whenever I come to a stop and then when traveling she starts to hick up and shuts off. Ive checked all the fuel lines I check the filter in carburetor. One thing I noticed was that the external fuel filter does not stay full of fuel..ANY SUGGESTIONS?

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
Welcome to the forum Loudogg, glad to have you here, if your truck had been just sitting for a long time the tank in the cab may have rust or debris in it, two ways to check this first just compressed air and blow back into tank with the outside cap off or remove the feed line and sender unit from the tank and check visually there should be a filter sock at the end of the line when you remove it from the tank..I would`t remove it till you get a new sealer ring gasket for it before hand from LMC or any other of the vendors... the #4 part in this image
http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/cbe/full.aspx?Page=33

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Fuel system troubles

Yes , I did remove sending unit and yes I did see rust on the wall of the tank. I also blew thru where the sock is to make sure it wasn't clogged, I also did the same for the hard line outside the tank that the sending unit connects too. In addition the hard line goes under the cab and connects to a hose then back to a hard line which I also checked for clogging. I noticed that fuel is trickling into the external fuel filter I added to the fuel line. Does the size of the fuel filter matter?

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
Yes , I did remove sending unit and yes I did see rust on the wall of the tank. I also blew thru where the sock is to make sure it wasn't clogged, I also did the same for the hard line outside the tank that the sending unit connects too. In addition the hard line goes under the cab and connects to a hose then back to a hard line which I also checked for clogging. I noticed that fuel is trickling into the external fuel filter I added to the fuel line. Does the size of the fuel filter matter?
The size of the filter will matter as far as plugging up, ( smaller /quicker ) your tank may be at a point to where you`ll have to pull the tank out and have it cleaned or buy a new one from one of the vendors, the rust may be just to much and you`ll never quit having problems, sometimes when you clean them it opens up pin holes and you end up replacing it anyways....I know thats not the answer your looking for...sign0013

·
Registered
5 Posts
78 c10 stock inline 6 250 stalling

Great question and feedback already!

I am Having the same issue with my 78 c10 4.1 250. It was sitting for a few months at least. First time it happened was at RR crossing and the power went. Could not get it to turn over. Finally i pushed it off of the road to undo all of the accessible fuel lines. I pumped the gas pedal after undoing each one to see if gas flowed. Finally at the hose that connected to the stock fuel pump, a bit trickled
out.

From there I poured a bottle cap fuel directly into the carb, re connected the hoses and it started. I then went and got a full tank and she ran for 9hours from NC to NY with the air filter and cover off. The next day with the air filter and cover back on it started what happened to LouDogg64. I also noticed oil inside of the bottom base of the air filter cover.

Anyone have any suggestions beyond gas tank, fuel filter and swap ?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts