Chevy C10 Truck Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am trying to swap my 63 short step to automatic. Currently I am running a 1979 SBC350 (according to the numbers on the block I researched) with the original 3speed manual column shift. I am going with a th350 I bought rebuilt. I need get a flex plate but am unsure what to get. I know there are 2 sizes and its dependent on the stater I'm using and what bolt pattern it has. This is where I'm stuck, my starter appears to bolt to the bell housing of the current 3 speed? Can anyone point me in the direction I need to go here? I think the block has holes for a starter to mount to it, will I just need to get a new starter?

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
Hello,

I am trying to swap my 63 short step to automatic. Currently I am running a 1979 SBC350 (according to the numbers on the block I researched) with the original 3speed manual column shift. I am going with a th350 I bought rebuilt. I need get a flex plate but am unsure what to get. I know there are 2 sizes and its dependent on the stater I'm using and what bolt pattern it has. This is where I'm stuck, my starter appears to bolt to the bell housing of the current 3 speed? Can anyone point me in the direction I need to go here? I think the block has holes for a starter to mount to it, will I just need to get a new starter?
You can tell by the starter mounting bolts.

Diagonal bolt pattern = 168 tooth flywheel
Straight across bolt pattern = 153 tooth flywheel

1 - 3 of 3 Posts