Chevy C10 Truck Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey to all,
I'm building a 1971 chevy c10. I bought the truck in really good running conditions, but definitely needs plenty of body work. The other day I noticed a pretty substantial oil slick under the truck. I thought the engine had a pretty good leak. Finally getting the chance to check it found that the transmission was at fault. It seems like it's leaking from the rear seal. I'm looking into either a rebuild or a new one. How do I find out what tranny is installed in this truck. The previous owner told me that the tranny and engine (350) are original. But I can't find anywhere where it tells me what trannies where installed in these trucks. Some info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. By the way it's an automatic.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey to all,
I'm building a 1971 chevy c10. I bought the truck in really good running conditions, but definitely needs plenty of body work. The other day I noticed a pretty substantial oil slick under the truck. I thought the engine had a pretty good leak. Finally getting the chance to check it found that the transmission was at fault. It seems like it's leaking from the rear seal. I'm looking into either a rebuild or a new one. How do I find out what tranny is installed in this truck. The previous owner told me that the tranny and engine (350) are original. But I can't find anywhere where it tells me what trannies where installed in these trucks. Some info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. By the way it's an automatic.
gm-transmission-pan-identification-jpg.56520 Try this link..

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey to all,
Hmmm - my 69 still has the original tranny, it's a TH400. Thought that was the default for this generation.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hey to all,
TH400 was usually a 3/4 ton or HD option. For 1971 C10 the standard V8 engine and trans was a was the a 350 CI/ TH350.
Personally I would go with a 700R4 , not alot involved to adapt to a SBC. I did the swap on my 63 which has a 66 327 in it, makes a awesome freeway cruiser. has 4th gear overdrive, I go down the freeway running 70 at 2200 RPM

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
TH400 was usually a 3/4 ton or HD option. For 1971 C10 the standard V8 engine and trans was a was the a 350 CI/ TH350.
Does it make a difference if it's a cheyenne or not? This truck is a cheyenne model, and I know that there's differences in it.

·
Registered
786 Posts
700R4 is a good swap but personally I would go with a 200R4 as they have better gear ratios.I just don't care for the wide 1-2 gearing of the 700,but they do offer a close ratio planet set for the 700,a bit pricey though

1 - 9 of 9 Posts