Chevy C10 Truck Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 1968 C10 with a 327 that's got around 370-410 hp and unknown amount of torque (guessing the same). It currently has a TH350 3-speed auto in it and a 2.?? rear diff. I wanted to see what suggestions y'all had for a swap that would better fit this engine and hp output. The transmission and rear diff are leftover from the 6 cylinder that was originally in it. I am looking for something that I can floor it and light up BOTH rear tires, yet a setup that also lets me run 85 mph down the highway without running at 4000 rpm. I'm trying to keep all of this at the lowest budget possible. Gas mileage isn't a concern either. I just don't want the engine running high rpms at high speeds unless I've got it to the floor. Kind of like a modern Silverado or Suburban. Except with an amazing ability to do burnouts lol! What setup do you think would help me get the best of those 400 horses?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Many suggestions would be personal preference or opinion, so consider that when reading replies. The biggest question is - what are you going to do with that horsepower? Is the truck going to be a daily driver or a week end toy? Are you going to race the truck or use it for long trips pulling a trailer? Give a few more details and it will probably help the intelligent people here to give you the best answers. Good luck and keep us posted!

·
Registered
800 Posts
Bama's pretty well nailed it.If you are going automatic,in this day and age, then an overdrive would be the way to go.A 700R4 or 200R4 can be built to handle 700+ hp consistently

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'm also looking for some suggestions for a tranny swap. Mines a '64 C20 3/4 ton with a 4 speed manual. It's got a nice 350 under the hood, but drives like a dump truck! Looking to swap in something that's gonna get it off the starting line a little quicker. Just a weekend toy, not a race car or daily driver. Would like to stick with manual shift, just not too familiar with transmissions. So, anyone have a suggestion?

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
Hasselback, I would recommend you verify your gear ratio first, I`m only guessing that its 3.73 or 4.10, find your self a muncie wide ratio, (M20) otherwise you`ll be shifting all the time using a muncie close ratio (m21) (m22 ) also look for a good shifter the hurst competition plus, less headaches....all muncie`s after `73 I believe were for more street friendly gears, Charie might help with this aspect..

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
I have a Borg Warner Super T10 in mine. Supposed to be a strong trans. larger shafts, and gears. The rear is an open 3.73. I have not driven it any where except in and out of the shop. The troubles I had was drive shaft length (stock to long) Finding the rear yoke 32 teeth I believe its the same as the TH400. I had to supply the cross member, and modify it to fit to keep exhaust up high. I don't think you have a rear cross member to set rear of trans on. If you can weld you should be able to fit a cross member from another car or truck. I think I got mine from a Nova. The Case # 1304065903. I pulled it from a 74 Corvette really don't know if it is stock to the 74. The shifter is Hurst . I got the tall shift arm because I am keeping the bench seat

Attachments

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
I believe the T10 has the same length, he should be able to use his crossmember as is, just change the drive shaft yoke..

·
Registered
18 Posts
I still have to pull everything, and figure out what I have. I know the motors not original, but I'm guessing the tranny and rear end probably are. I'm hoping I can just regear the rear end and be fine.

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
That is the standard 4 speed to change it to the other style you will have to add a cross member as your current bell housing has the rear mounts on it. You can buy a cross member places like LMC truck. you will need a different clutch different spline and bell housing. You clutch linkage should work, but may need some modification. The drive shaft will need to be made longer (they will make a new one ). Look around for a good 4 speed trans. Camaro's and Corvettes came with them. There are lots of them out there. anim_25

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thanks for the info. I think I'm going to just look into regearing first. I was browsing the LMC catalog and saw ring and pinion sets pretty affordable. I've been putting off tearing out the driveline, because I have a drivable truck right now. Once I start, it could be a long time before I get it all back together! The first vehicle I ever built, actually started as a shredded pinion bearing, and a week later all I had left was a bare frame on jackstands! 3 years later, my Jeep was back on the road....

1 - 19 of 19 Posts