Chevy C10 Truck Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy everyone! So, I've gotten a little sidetracked with this project as happens to most of us. I've finally gotten to where I can get some work done on my truck. The problem is, it's in Texas and I'm in California. My buddy said he'd be willing to do the work necessary to get my truck to be able to make the drive west. So I bought a crate engine 350 to replace the, presumably, original 283. The problem I have with the truck is, the little 3 on the floor doesn't exactly like highway speeds. So I've been wanting to replace that as well. I've been looking at a T56 for awhile, but when I mentioned this to my buddy, he says it's not just a hook up and go type evolution, a lot more convoluted than he originally thought and he wasn't sure he could do the work. I'm kinda bummed because he's got my brand new motor just collecting dust in his garage.

Anyone have experience with this particular swap? What extra parts would I need? Is there a "how to" somewhere I could link him to to give him a confidence boost so I can go get my truck? Would I be better off just dropping down to a 5 speed and making it easier?

I've got a friend here almost giving away a T56 from a Camaro he was building but can't get to pass smog, so he's parting it out. It's pretty much too good a deal to pass on. Worst case scenario, anyone ever ship a vehicle? What kind of cost am I looking at?

Thanks in advance!

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
Welcome to the forum, glad to have you here sign0016 thou I never had anything shipped just start calling local shippers to you, and try to find one that is headed in the direction you need it to go, sure it would be cheaper if the transport still had room to haul one other vehicle.

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
sign0016 To C10 Trucks. If the T56 is the Camaro trans you will need bucket seats too. the shifter is at the rear of the trans. A T5 with the wet clutch out of a late Chevy truck would more suit your needs. I put on in my 72 that one came from a 91 Chevy 1/2 ton. Its your call but I think I'd do some measuring before opening my wallet. Anyway Good to have you and GOOD luck on the project

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hmm, thanks for that info. I'll definitely want to keep my bench seat. I'll have to get some info and see what I can do. Maybe shipping it out here will be less of a hassle in the long run.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts