Chevy C10 Truck Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. First post here. I bought my first truck (81' c10) and I believe this thing is far from stock.. I have no prior experience with these trucks so I have nothing to compare it to besides internet pictures. I believe the previous owner set it up for drag racing. It's lowered, big tires, low gears w/posi, 350/350 (no idea what the truck had stock) ect. The wiring is pretty hacked and it's left me stranded like 4 times, having to get towed home with a strap. I was thinking about mounting a billet alum. tow hook (the ones on ebay) on the front of the truck. Has anyone mounted one of these or something similar before?

Thanks- Ian

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
sign0016 to C10 Trucks. Well tow hooks can be mounted to the bottom of the frame, BUT I think I'd work on making it more dependable. 350/350 is a good combo. depending on how it was installed. Wiring diagrams are not hard to come by even on the net. anim_25

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
if it were me I would fix the wiring issue right off the bat but anyways here are a few of the GM tow hooks it would be a bolt up, aftermarket may require drilling new holes that you don`t need or want in your frame..although they are earlier tow hooks they will line up with the factory holes..

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
sign0016 to C10 Trucks. Well tow hooks can be mounted to the bottom of the frame, BUT I think I'd work on making it more dependable. 350/350 is a good combo. depending on how it was installed. Wiring diagrams are not hard to come by even on the net. anim_25
Thank you. Yes, of course. I bought a Chilton book. this weekend I got it running again, (had a wire rubbing on the bottom of the rotor in the disy)and also got my headlights working. Had to get a new dimmer switch? The one in the floor with the three wires. I don't even know what the hell that is/What the function of it is.. But it was the culprit. I also don't even know if it's a 350/305/or 327.. I gotta get that figured out soon too.

As far as tow hooks I do NOT want an open ended hook like the oem stuff. It must be an enclosed circle end.

·
Registered
40 Posts
sign0016 to the forum, find alot of useful stuff here, I know I have.

As for the switch on the floor you replaced, thats your dimmer alright, if they go bad they can cause ALOT of headaches.

I have yet to figure out why P/O's hack up exsiting wiring :confused:

As for the motor, its more than likely a 350 if the original Emissions sticker is still on the Radiator support/Cover it will tell you, if not look at the 6th digit in the VIN thats your engine code.

There are other resources on the site that will help ya figure out your engine/ tranny combo anim_25 and again sign0016

1 - 5 of 5 Posts