Chevy C10 Truck Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1967 C-10
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to the forum and am changing out the plugs on the TPI L98 engine in my '67 C-10. Planned to unbolt the exhaust headers to make more room. Does anyone have the torque specs for the exhaust header bolts? Closest I could find was 20 ft lbs from a Corvette forum, but not sure if they apply to mine as I don't really know what vehicle my engine came out of. Appreciate any help!
Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design
Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Car

·
Registered
1972 C10 Stepside
14 Posts
I guarantee you will not be able to get a torque wrench into every place you want on any headers without a little resistance. By the time you go and pay for a wrench fitted for that job you can hand tighten just as sufficient as any
torque wrench and they will stay tight. You always have to go back and check over a period those bolts always
loosen up over time. Just a part of street rodding.

·
Registered
1967 C-10
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So, I was able to get the spark plugs out using some pass through sockets I got from Harbor Freight. Great investment!

A troubling issue was many of the plugs have some slight oil fouling at the bottom. I know I’ve already got a couple of leaky valve cover gaskets and am hoping that‘s all it is (See the attached photo).

Automotive tire Bottle Material property Auto part Font

·
Registered
1967 C-10
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So, I was able to get the spark plugs out using some pass through sockets I got from Harbor Freight. Great investment!

A troubling issue was many of the plugs have some slight oil fouling at the bottom. I know I’ve already got a couple of leaky valve cover gaskets and am hoping that‘s all it is (See the attached photo).

View attachment 6610
Possibly valve seals?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts