Chevy C10 Truck Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys. I have a 65 Chevy c10 with a 292 engine. My question is about the lower rubber gasket. There are little tabs at each end of the gasket. Do these tabs tuck under the oil pan? If they do tuck under the pan will I need to loosen the oil pan to tuck them under?

·
Administrator
193 Posts
I usually cut the tabs with a razor blade, clean the area and use black permatex (gasket maker not gasket sealer) in the corners while leaving the oil pan tight.

On the 292 I don't think it matters if the lip seal is on top or below the pan gasket. Yes you'll need to loosen the pan but beware of busting the gasket.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don’t want to loosen the oil pan if I don’t have to. I worry about creating a leak. I just needed to know if installing the rubber seal and applying gasket maker to the corners is an acceptable way of doing it. Thanks for understanding my question.

·
Administrator
193 Posts
No. Leave it dry or use some shellac if you wish. No permatex. Shellac is also good to help hold the gasket in place.

Just permatex those corners pretty good where the oil pan meets the tabs on the lips seal and you should be good. Brake cleaner and a rag will prepare the surface nicely for the permatex.

Brown Liquid Bottle Fluid Drink

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you very much. So just by slipping the rubber oil seal back in place will hold back an oil leak?
Im not questioning you as much as I’m looking for reassurance since I have never done this before.

Thanks

·
Administrator
193 Posts
Its a pain to get those seal ends back under the oil pan but it can be done. You can loosen a few bolts back on each side of the oil pan and use a screwdriver to gently pry the pan down enough to get them in. By loosening, I mean 1/8" or 1/4" out.

I can understand your concern by wanting to do it right.

·
Administrator
193 Posts
No I don't anymore. I've owned many of these old Chevy's ranging from 69 to 86 plus worked on many at the garages where I worked. Those good old trucks are getting hard to find now.

GM used to be all that I would drive. I'm not at all impressed with the new trucks nowadays.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts