Chevy C10 Truck Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally getting all parts together to re build the front end of my 68 C10. **Here is my question for the adjusting sleeves, the parts counter man ask me if I had power of manual steering when I was at the parts house for the tie rod adjusting sleeves. He said between the two the power strg one is a 1/2" longer. I cant believe that it matters that much over a 1/2" from power to manual, the Tie Rods are No different, got me stumped.

WHAT DO YOU ALL THINK or KNOW ABOUT THIS. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
I never heard of this. I guess the longer one would be stronger as it grips more thread??? Your guess is as good as mine.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I never heard of this. I guess the longer one would be stronger as it grips more thread??? Your guess is as good as mine.
I have put a power strg pitman arm up next to a manual strg pitman arm and I Don't see any difference from the two so nothing changes there. As far as for the more threads gripping more & making it more stronger this doesn't make sense to me because now you have power strg opposed to manual strg needing bigger muscles to turn the wheels, power you can use One Finger to turn.

Maybe someone with a little experience with frt end wheel alignment can answer this question about the difference that 1/2" longer adjusting sleeve does.

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
Wasn't reffering to power to turn wheel. With the P/S you turn faster and would require the strength at the steering gear not the wheel.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have put a power strg pitman arm up next to a manual strg pitman arm and I Don't see any difference from the two so nothing changes there. As far as for the more threads gripping more & making it more stronger this doesn't make sense to me because now you have power strg opposed to manual strg needing bigger muscles to turn the wheels, power you can use One Finger to turn.

Maybe someone with a little experience with frt end wheel alignment can answer this question about the difference that 1/2" longer adjusting sleeve does.
Still looking why there is a tie rod adj sleeve for a manual strg truck and a tie rod adj sleeve for a power strg truck and why the power strg one has & is a 1/2" longer. Looking for that frt end wheel alignment person still.

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
If it is that important I would think you would just call a front end place. Maybe the one you will bring it to for alignment??
anim_25

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
If it is that important I would think you would just call a front end place. Maybe the one you will bring it to for alignment??
anim_25
So far the three Alignment Shops I have spoken to cant answer why it would matter the 1/2" would have any difference or even why the 1/2" even exist in the first place. I think the real reason is that the person doing the alignment only does what the alignment Computer tells him to do to the car, not a mechanic at all just another brain dead person reading whats on the screen & having No knowledge of how & or why a car is made the way it is. **I think this is like when you buy your new car that they recommend you use there Brand of oils & such as it is Formulated only for your car and if you use anything else your car wont run like the Engineers has built it to run and will Void your warranty. ***I think the Manufactures of these parts or other parts are trying to pull a fast one on us so we would buy the more expensive part. I think what I am learning here is the Power Steering System (power strg pump & power strg gear box) is the only important parts of the system and a 1/2" longer tie rod adjusting sleeve has No bearing on it or this. I could be wrong here but would be grateful if could be set straight on this matter.

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
With the P/S you turn faster and would require the strength at the steering gear not the wheel.
As Charlie said, with the power steering all the stress is at the pitman arm forward, by lengthening the tierod sleeves adds another 30 to 50 % percent strength to the sleeves to keep from pulling apart in the event you are up against an immovable object..

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
There will be other areas that you will run into that have structural changes such as the lower A-arm pivot U-bolts, they changed in `73 larger size (half inch ) due to failures on the original 3/8 bolts, I don`t believe you can even buy the 3/8 anywhere and why would you want to. They increased the tie rod end size in `71/`72, disc brakes in `71,, 5 lug in `71 except 4x4, 1.25 rotors in `73, the list goes on....

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
As Charlie said, with the power steering all the stress is at the pitman arm forward, by lengthening the tierod sleeves adds another 30 to 50 % percent strength to the sleeves to keep from pulling apart in the event you are up against an immovable object..
Now we are getting somewhere, Rich so far you have been the only one that gave a good enough answer as to why the extra 1/2" is there in the first place. Other Forums have been no help with my question. I get the idea of more strength at that point but the extra 1/4" for each tie rod (inner & outer) totaling 1/2" more going from 2" of threads seated to now with power strg adj sleeve at 2 1/4" of threads seated doesn't seem to be a real big deal to me & not worth the extra 40 to 60% price increase since the only part of the sleeve where the split is & the clamp is that area of clamping is only One inch wide anyway so what difference does the extra 1/2" longer sleeve do there. Napa has been the only ones asking me about manual or power steering, too every body else it hasn't been a factor. Is my point clear enough to understand my original question?

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
There will be other areas that you will run into that have structural changes such as the lower A-arm pivot U-bolts, they changed in `73 larger size (half inch ) due to failures on the original 3/8 bolts, I don`t believe you can even buy the 3/8 anywhere and why would you want to. They increased the tie rod end size in `71/`72, disc brakes in `71,, 5 lug in `71 except 4x4, 1.25 rotors in `73, the list goes on....
The increase in the tie rod was only the diameter of it now 11/16" from earlier years at 5/8". This is my problem PO's have installed a 71-72 Center Link/ Tie Rods & used 92 spindles & disc setup without Changing the Master Cylinder or even using the right Disc Brake Proportioning Valve leaving the original Drum Brake Distribution Block in place. PO's bu!! sh!t ideas are why I am going back to stock Drum Brakes much easier to go into a Parts House and order the right part for the year of truck it is.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts