Chevy C10 Truck Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Everyone says replace it, I really like the sound,of the tranmission. I just don't know that much about it. I tried to find some bushings and no luck so far they are hard plastic? I have tried LMC and classic chevy??? my wife is scared to drive it becouse it jams up some times

thanks James

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
James...For as far back as I can remember Chevy has had the worst column shifter EVER. If I recall the bushings are the same as used on 3 & 4 speed floor shifters. If it were mine I'd put it on the floor. You'll be happier and so will your wife.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I agree. Anybody who has to sit in the middle will thank you for leaving it on the column too. It's also a theft deterrent because most kids won't know how to drive it lol.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Back in the day I re-did these columns all the time.3 things I learned that helped was 1-lightly grease shift tube where it comes through the collar,2-keep eccentric at base of column adjusted,And 3- Never use a split roll pin in the shift lever to the bowl

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
415 Posts
they are really good transmission(s) ....

i would so keep it in there to give it that character of uniqueness and something different ...

i think ( and it has been some time now ), you can try going to the dealership ( because they still have some of the old catalogs, well around here they do ) and look up the part number.

and you might might get lucky and they still have them in stock =0)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I agree. Anybody who has to sit in the middle will thank you for leaving it on the column too. It's also a theft deterrent because most kids won't know how to drive it lol.
I put the new water pump on good to go!! The shifter bushing I made for less then $ 3.00 dollars and took me all about 10 minutes, If you guys look at the retrofit kit for a/c system the high side fitting is just about prefect fit you just have to cut the front off, if you want some pic's let me know, I am still going to have to take the steering wheel column apart with the shift rods off it feels like old dried out grease. and pic's of this at taking it all apart any help would be great

James

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok So this passed weekend I took the steering column apart and re greased it just a over all good cleaning, Wow what a difference it made, it shifts so nice now. I'm really mad I didn't do this sooner. anim_63

James

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
1 - 10 of 10 Posts