Chevy C10 Truck Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Sheet Metal Junkie
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well it's time to down size, and build our retirement shop. We're not loosing to much square feet, just about 40. But we pick up more ground, nicer property and further back into the country. Plus it's our old homestead. :) so in the next year or two I will ween myself out of here. We will be living down on the other property but I will be traveling to the old shop.
The new shop we're going to focus on our projects and run some metal shop classes. I will still take on some small jobs to feed our habits. :)

Here's some Deer that didn't seem to be bothered with what was going on.

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
Wow Steve, that is cool….!

·
Registered
493 Posts
Pole Buildings R Us...

Steve.. Awesome set-up you have there. Thanks for sharing.

Could you post up some more details? We are just about ready to ink a deal on a 30 x 44 Lester pole building, same color as yours except barn red for the siding, and only a 10 foot side wall.

We are leaning toward closed cell spray on insulation for the roof... what's your plans?

_____
John

·
Sheet Metal Junkie
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi John, well the building is 40X50 with 12 foot ceiling height. We used 6X6 treated post and berried them in 40 inches where possible. We had some difficulties where we hit bed rock, but bed rock don't move, so drilling or hammering wasn't necessary.
We used a 5/12 pitch truss with a foot overhang on all four sides, at 4 foot on center. 2X10 top Pirlans and a 2X6 bottom Pirlans.
For insulation we will most likely use closed cell foam 4X8 sheet by 2 inches thick. We will strip the bottom of the trusses bottom plate with 1X2 inch strip and insulate the ceiling with 2 inch foil face foam. On top of that we will blow in insulation. We have double vents in the gable ends to remove unwanted heat in the summer, which will be operated by levers that will run down the gable end inside wall. Everything we've done is with the universal builders code, and we only need two inspections. One before we berried the post and the last when the building is complete. I will need an inspection later if I decide to use a new service with its own meter. We will also have a water supply with drains in two places in the floor.
I went with 10X10 doors this time because I have a straight shot in where no angle is needed. My spacing in the front with the bay doors was from the corner, 10 foot in then a bay door, anther 10 foot and then anther bay door with a remaining 10 foot which give me my total of 50.
Give me a shout if there is any targeted questions john, that I may have missed.
Oh the cement will be 4 inches of stone with plastic sheet barrier, a wire mesh then 6 inches of cement, with saw cuts.

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
Steve sounds like you have it all covered...So many people don't put the plastic down before the concrete that's a big mistake. Great plans great shop.anim_25

·
Sheet Metal Junkie
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I also have to mention, that if it weren't for TNT Cconstruction and my Wife Kate, this building would not have been turning out near as nice. :)
We still have a pile of excavating to do as far as back fill. Where the shop was elevated so it would not take on any run off from any ground water. But I will be doing that on my own. I am building a screener, what we call a Grizly so I can limit the size of rock I have to deal with when grading the back fill. I will keep this thread going to show my progress and mishaps. :D

·
Registered
493 Posts
Thanks for the 411 Steve. sounds like a great building, looking forward to your updates.

We need a "Shop / Garage" category here on the C10 Forum. That would be a great place to capture all our shenanigans :D

_____
John

·
Registered
493 Posts
Let's do it John, we can make this one a sticky and I can change the title to
Building Our Work Shop. Or what ever title you guys would like.
Awesome... Thanks Steve.

How about: The Place For Your Stuff: The Garage / Shop Forum

Then folks could post everything from new buildings, to renovations or maybe simply showing off what their garage / shops are now. No doubt we could all learn a lot from what works / doesn't work for our fellow truckers and motor heads.

I am a member over at The Garage Journal site: http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/. Cool thing about having a forum here is it would be more targeted to folks in our wheelhouse, ones that have similar wants/needs to us..... if that makes any sense.
_____
John

·
Registered
493 Posts
Thanks Steve.

I finally got pricing back for my 30 x 44 shop. The builders want an additional $10,000 to erect a stick building vs a pole building. And the pole building will be maintenance free and have a lifetime structural warranty.

That makes going with the pole building a no brainer........

_____
John

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
So this is the official shop / garage forum thread….cool here`s couple of realtor pics of the thrashing area….when I get time and organized I`ll get more up dated pics..

Attachments

1 - 20 of 41 Posts