Chevy C10 Truck Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
If you are not a big fan of having the gas tank in the cab and you don't want a tank that hangs so low you can see it from the rear of the truck then this thread is for you.

This modification uses a '49-'52 Chevy passenger car gas tank and locates the tank in the frame behind the rear axle.

While it is being used on a Step Side it could also be done on a Fleet Side.

This modification requires some fabrication and welding skills. It is not a bolt in only modification.

I raised the tank up above the top of the frame rails so the tank would not be visible below the roll pan. If you are running a rear bumper you could install the tank flush with the top of the frame rails. This would further simplify the installation.

Fabrication:
•This modification also included removing some of the previous owners “welded on” bumper brackets and overload springs.

•Lower frame rail flanges were trimmed using a Sawsall and a grinder to allow the tank to drop out for maintenance.

•Drivers’ side frame rail notched to allow filler tube clearance. Reinforced notch with C4x5.4 structural steel channel.

•Bobbed the rear of the frame to make room for a rear roll pan. This involved removing / replacing the rear frame cross member with a new one out of C4x5.4 structural steel channel. Bottom flange of the channel was cut off to allow tank to drop out for maintenance. New rear bed mounting brackets were also made coping some of the C4x5.4 channel.

•Fabricated upper tank supports out of 1x1x10ga structural rectangular tubing.

•Fabricated tank strap support brackets using 2x1x1/8 structural rectangular tubing.

•Ran 3/8" galvanized zinc fuel line through passenger side frame rail to fuel pump.

•Installed Fram cartridge style fuel filter​

Parts List:
•Gas Tank: Tanks Inc. P/N 51-CG, 1949-52 Chevy Steel, $195.00

•Mounting Straps: Tanks Inc. P/N UMS, $12.50

•Sending Unit: Brothers P/N ATK59SU, 0-30 Ohm Universal, $26.99

•Gas Filler Pipe: Bob Drake Reproductions P/N 78-9034-B, 1937 Car, $35.00

•Locking Gas Cap: Bob Drake Reproductions P/N01A-18416-B, 1932-50 Pickup, $35.00

•Fuel Filter: Jegs P/N 410-HPG1 (Fram), Canister Style Fuel Filter, $41.99​

·
Registered
10 Posts
super clean and great mod!...good job, how many gallons is that oem tank?

·
Registered
1 Posts
gas tank

hello and greetings to all, I am working on a 1968 chevy 4X4 short bed fleet side. I want to place fuel tank in rear behind axle, the rear driver side marker light has been modified for fuel access. I'm sure someone has done this before, my question is what tank can I use that has the most capacity, has the filler neck on driver side rear and will fit in between the frame rails. please advise if possible, what tank, from what vehicle, year and model. Thanks in advance.

1968 4X4
bowtiedb

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
hello and greetings to all, I am working on a 1968 chevy 4X4 short bed fleet side. I want to place fuel tank in rear behind axle, the rear driver side marker light has been modified for fuel access. I'm sure someone has done this before, my question is what tank can I use that has the most capacity, has the filler neck on driver side rear and will fit in between the frame rails. please advise if possible, what tank, from what vehicle, year and model. Thanks in advance.

1968 4X4
bowtiedb
Have you looked at the rear tank conversion from LMC ...? Or here`s a quick video not mine......https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtGH0PhQ66M

1 - 7 of 7 Posts