Chevy C10 Truck Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I added the stock type tach from Classic Ind. to my 69 and it burned up. Classic replaced it and it burned up too. I have a Pertronics Flame Thrower ignition which from what I have been told is NOT an HEI. HEI's have been known to burn up tachs installed without a filter. I have 12VDC from a switched connector on the fuse box, a signal wire to the - side of the coil and gnd. Any ideas???

·
Registered
5 Posts
Your stock ignition functions on approximately 8-9 VDC from a resistor wire. I got that number from the actual resistor wire on my 70 C10. When I installed an HEI it had to have battery voltage so it required a resistor in the tach circuit. I am sorry to say I can't remember any specifics on the resistor, that was a long time ago. My tach is a new stock type and it works fine with the resistor. I used a relay triggered by the resistor wire to provide battery voltage to the dist. Several months ago I stumbled on a vendor on ebay that was selling new printed circuits for our type tachs. It allowed you to have new electronics and retain the original look .He may have a solution to your problem without resistors. I don't remember anything about him except his products but with a little research on ebay he may resurface.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts