Chevy C10 Truck Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello my name is jared gray, im 18 and im lookin for some advice or knowledge.
I have a 64 c10 original manual truck, with a 350 small block and currently has saginaw 4 speed. I want to put in a muncie 4 speed, add rear cross member and get rid of the granny low bell housing that mounts to the frame rails. Was hoping someone who has done something like this before could Offer some advice on weather or not removing the bell housing is a smart move for this swap. Thank you

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
Jared sign0016 To C10 Trucks I have done this MANY years ago I made my own cross member and what ever I needed BUT Rich will be along and he has I'm sure a better and more current way to do this. It is a big improvement anim_25 with the project

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
Welcome to the forum Jared, glad to have you here, your `64 does it have the ear mounts on the bell housing....? I believe if it does its a bolt up for the muncie four speed, I`m assuming your talking of the M20 thru 22 series transmissions for the passenger cars ..correct.? You may have to change out the clutch disc and pressure plate ( not sure if they are the same spline count) check the size on the pilot bushing to the trans, replace if needed, check the size of the trans register the very front of the trans circular shoulder compare to the trans you are buying..drivehaft length should be the same...if not go to west Sac drive line service, for length and or yoke change...been there many times for driveline mods...by the way we are some what neighbors....! sign0016

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
To rich

Yeah i have the ear mounts. I was hoping to just swap the bell housing out for an aluminum ear mount free bell housing. Is it ok and safe at the same time todo that? Am i gonna have linkage problem? Thanks for the help. I really appreciate it.

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
Yeah i have the ear mounts. I was hoping to just swap the bell housing out for an aluminum ear mount free bell housing. Is it ok and safe at the same time todo that? Am i gonna have linkage problem? Thanks for the help. I really appreciate it.
#1 You can change out the bell housing and cut the ears off if you want or just leave the bell housing and mounts as is and swap out the trans for a muncie. This will keep your down time to a minimum for now, it will take a while to install a new crossmember. Is your truck long or short bed...?
#2 Now would be the time to change to an overdrive, the trans to look for would be a NP 440 transmission. This is a four speed with fourth being overdrive, Gm used it from `79 to`86 in Chevy/GMC....somewhat limited here in Calif due to smog laws back then it was easier to get an automatic to pass smog than manual transmissions. something to think about anyways if you do find one by chance but don`t let that stop you from a muncie. In either case you will not have any issues with shifter clearance, you will have to make a new hole in the trans hump...
What is wrong with your saginaw...if any...?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts