Chevy C10 Truck Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a 69' 1/2 ton vibrating,gradually getting worse. It's a new build I've went all out on. New tie-rods,wheel bearings,ball joints,u-joints,driveshaft,transmission, torque converter,transmission mount,motor with less than 25k miles. Motor mounts have maybe 60k miles on them and looked fine when I put this motor in. I had a bent drive shaft that caused same type of vibration before I had another one made,the tranny&mount along with driveshaft were all new and put in together. After about a 150 miles my truck is vibrating again.Anything above 40 mph it's pretty bad. What am I missing?

·
Registered
1972 C10 Stepside
14 Posts
Hi Christopher I have been there a few times with these old buckets. Vibrations are misleading if you don't pinpoint the
exact cause of the trouble. You did not mention you replaced the idler arm a much overlooked item even when rebuilding
your front end. You should check that part as you stated all others are replaced also your pitman arm even your drag link
which tends to wear even when tightened over time. A little looseness amplifies when driving. You should
also check rear end bearings including pinion bearings, that front pinion bearing on those old trucks wear the race and can loosen overtime as you said it went away and now after your upgrades is back. Always good to walk away come back later. Check one part at a time to rule out the good pieces you just haven't found the culprit yet . Rear end wheel
bearings can cause vibrations as they wear out getting older. Hope my input helps a bit.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Christopher I have been there a few times with these old buckets. Vibrations are misleading if you don't pinpoint the
exact cause of the trouble. You did not mention you replaced the idler arm a much overlooked item even when rebuilding
your front end. You should check that part as you stated all others are replaced also your pitman arm even your drag link
which tends to wear even when tightened over time. A little looseness amplifies when driving. You should
also check rear end bearings including pinion bearings, that front pinion bearing on those old trucks wear the race and can loosen overtime as you said it went away and now after your upgrades is back. Always good to walk away come back later. Check one part at a time to rule out the good pieces you just haven't found the culprit yet . Rear end wheel
bearings can cause vibrations as they wear out getting older. Hope my input helps a bit.
Thanks,idler arm and pitman arm both replaced as well,I will check into the rest,thank you for the help

·
Registered
8 Posts
I got a 69' 1/2 ton vibrating,gradually getting worse. It's a new build I've went all out on. New tie-rods,wheel bearings,ball joints,u-joints,driveshaft,transmission, torque converter,transmission mount,motor with less than 25k miles. Motor mounts have maybe 60k miles on them and looked fine when I put this motor in. I had a bent drive shaft that caused same type of vibration before I had another one made,the tranny&mount along with driveshaft were all new and put in together. After about a 150 miles my truck is vibrating again.Anything above 40 mph it's pretty bad. What am I missing?
Put it up on jack stands remove rear wheels put lugs back on brakes and run it up to speed, if it still vibrates it’s likely in the driveline and go from there.

·
Registered
7 Posts

·
Registered
1972 C10 Stepside
14 Posts
It was just a matter of time before you found that glad you did. Once you go thru and get all the bugs out of these old
trucks and cars they ride pretty good and are dependable. I didn't even have a radio in my old truck it sounded that good
music to my ears.

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts