Chevy C10 Truck Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
71 C10 w/ 307 2 barrel carb

Help please! Stumble isn't a good word.... This motor cuts out completely when I press the gas - no ignition, all quiet - then about 1 second later it comes back to life and revs up. This isn't me stabbing the throttle hard either. Just pressing the gas pedal normally. If I do it very slowly and gently I can rev the motor up and it sounds normal.

I rebuilt the carburetor. Full kit.
I can see and hear the accelerator pump working.
The distributor has new points, condenser, rotor.
New plug wires and spark plugs. Timing is correct.

It idles better now, but still has the same issue. Its like there no ignition for a second. 😞

·
Registered
77 Chevy C10
46 Posts
Sounds like you have check the basics as relates to the carb. I have seen the accelerator pump adjustment be off and cause this. Make sure the float level is correct too. And check the vacuum advance and make sure it is advancing correctly. Hope this helps. Let us know what you find.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds like you have check the basics as relates to the carb. I have seen the accelerator pump adjustment be off and cause this. Make sure the float level is correct too. And check the vacuum advance and make sure it is advancing correctly. Hope this helps. Let us know what you find.
Ok i'll check those things out. Could the vaccum advance be plugged into the wrong port on the carb? I've kept it like I found it, coming off the front port that is at a 45 degree angle. I downloaded the service manual but I can't find any diagrams showing carburetor ports.

·
Registered
77 Chevy C10
46 Posts
Ok i'll check those things out. Could the vaccum advance be plugged into the wrong port on the carb? I've kept it like I found it, coming off the front port that is at a 45 degree angle. I downloaded the service manual but I can't find any diagrams showing carburetor ports.
Good question. Some do better with a dedicated vacuum port right off of the intake manifold. Others I have seen do better right off of the carb. Try both. I don’t think that is your main problem from what you are describing though.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts