Chevy C10 Truck Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting ready to restore a 65 C-10 Stepside with a factory I6 and 3 speed on the column, Trying to decide to either rebuild the I6 or rebuild a 307 V8 I have in the shop? Any suggestions? I want to make this a nice daily driver, not a hot rod, going to add power steering and power brakes, and auto trans.

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
IMO by adding a V-8, PS, PB, and auto just anty`s up the driving experience with the 60`s truck, by what it could have been, mine is that way, has been for 20 years now, and still going, you can take it one more step by adding a one and a quarter or larger sway bay on the front ( any 67 to 98 c-20 or one ton burb or truck sway bay ) the truck will handle almost as well as any new truck then, I will never by a new truck as mine is a fine dailey driver.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I was thinking the same thing, I will have to look into that sway bar as well. I want to put disc brakes on the front and just leave the drum in the rear, Probably even leave it 6 lug as I have found wheels that I like for 6 lug. Thanks for the input.

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
Then its real easy for you just grab the 6 lug rotors, caliphers, spindles, use the later model ball joints and tie rod ends from the donor vehicle ( although new ) install on your `65 a-arms, install same year (donor ) master, booster, and Prop valve, when installing power steering just use the rez frame kit to make the install easier and safer, keeps the frame from cracking, post pics of your work here....!

·
Registered
49 Posts
I'm a fan of the inline six, but haven't owned one since the 1970's. I just don't think you can beat a small block Chevy for inexpensive parts availability and all around driving. It's also easier and cheaper to install power steering etc to a V8 compared to the six. I've also always had better gas mileage with a V8.

My last inline 6 was a 235 in a 54 Chevy sedan. I drove with that thing with the gas pedal on the floor all the time to get up to speed as quickly as I desired. After swapping to a 283, I didn't have to push it that hard anymore since it was both more powerful and weighed less than the 6.

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
One other side note here that might be of interest, the '71-'87 trucks were available with optional 2.5" wide brakes on the rear for both the C10 and K10's. These can be swapped onto any year truck 12 bolt from '64-'82 and the 8.5 10 bolt from '80-'86 on the C and K series and '87-'91 for the R and V series. You will need both the backing plates and drums. The shoes and hardware can be sourced from your local auto parts store.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.