Chevy C10 Truck Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1966 c10 short wide bed with a small block 350 automatic transmission. The person I bought the truck from put drop spindles on the truck I do not know what height spindles they are. I do not care for how low it is and want to put stock height spindles on. What do you all suggest for the spindles and I think it could use new ball joints also what ball joints do you all suggest. It does have disc brakes. I am new to the classic truck world and need a lot good advice on the parts that I need and any information that you all could share with me. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
white sign0016 To C10 Truck First off I don't think 66 came with disc brakes so someone changed the front suspension and I could not tell what you have under there. Is there anyway to ask the po?is the front wheel 5 or 6 lug? we need some hints here

·
Registered
11 Posts
Spindle Heigth

I put dropped spindles on my 1964 C-10 and they are 2 1/2" Measure yours and add 2 1/2". As much as I have looked all dropped spindles are 2 1/2".
Hope this helps I never measured mine, jusc scrapped them.

·
Registered
19 Posts
...and want to put stock height spindles on. What do you all suggest for the spindles and I think it could use new ball joints also what ball joints do you all suggest. ...
You will be putting "stock" spindles back on, Stock drum brakes (no disc) and stock ball joints. No one makes disc brake spindles stock height that I know of.
You have a decision to make.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My truck has 5 lug wheels. The upper and lower control arms are stock. I don't think anything was changed from original I think previous owner just installed drop spindles. I will measure tomorrow. Thanks

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
I have a 1966 c10 short wide bed with a small block 350 automatic transmission. The person I bought the truck from put drop spindles on the truck I do not know what height spindles they are. I do not care for how low it is and want to put stock height spindles on. What do you all suggest for the spindles and I think it could use new ball joints also what ball joints do you all suggest. It does have disc brakes. I am new to the classic truck world and need a lot good advice on the parts that I need and any information that you all could share with me. Thanks for the help.
Can you post a pic from the side of the truck, it may be more than just spindles, it could be springs as well...if its just spindles just a matter of changing the spindle to anything from `73 to `87 C10 with disc brakes, just a spindle swap, you`ll use the `73 to `87 ball joints....if they need to be changed...you`ll reuse everything else that is on your truck now...

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
Check the springs, The PO might have used lowered springs. That might be a simple fix.

stepsider65
Look at the springs and see if they are new and look at the spindles as well as being new, a lot of guys use 2.5 drop spindles with 1 inch drop springs for the four inch drop in the front. I don`t believe there is a part number on the springs thou, at least those from CPP don`t have one I know for sure..

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I watched a video on youtube about drop spindles. I now think the PO has somehow change the suspension geometry the wheels are leaning in at this angle / on passenger side and \ angle on drivers side. There does not look like there is very much adjustment left on the upper control arm. Saying that I am trying to understand wheel alignment. The guy in the video said that you can install drop spindles and not change the springs and that would not change the suspension geometry. I think the spindles are ok. The PO might have change or cut the springs that is why I have the tire lean. Let me know what you all think this is all new to me but I want to learn and fix it. Thanks. I will get some pics up in the next day or two.

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
I watched a video on youtube about drop spindles. I now think the PO has somehow change the suspension geometry the wheels are leaning in at this angle / on passenger side and \ angle on drivers side. There does not look like there is very much adjustment left on the upper control arm. Saying that I am trying to understand wheel alignment. The guy in the video said that you can install drop spindles and not change the springs and that would not change the suspension geometry. I think the spindles are ok. The PO might have change or cut the springs that is why I have the tire lean. Let me know what you all think this is all new to me but I want to learn and fix it. Thanks. I will get some pics up in the next day or two.
Only guessing you are right.....springs are cheap, just order a new set from CPP or Classic parts, both links on this forum...

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
Here is some pictures of my truck let me know what you think. Thanks
Looks good, I`m only guessing they went with a 4/6 drop, 4 in the front...so like I said probably 2.5 spindles and one inch drop spring, plus they settle in after a while giving the 4/6 drop...go to the suspension drop section there is a static drop stance images from ECE that will show the different drops...http://www.earlyclassic.com/Tech.aspx?category=Stance+Photos

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks everyone for the information. This week I am going to change the ball joints and change the springs. I will post an update and hopefully have a good report. Thanks again.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I got the ball joints changed. Looked at the springs the PO had cut the springs. I replace the springs and the truck looks and drives a lot better. I need to replace the tie rod ends and will be ready for front end alignment. I will post some pictures so you can see the difference. Thanks

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
Cool, glad its all working out for you..! beer

1 - 17 of 17 Posts