Chevy C10 Truck Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 98% stock 68 C10, only updated parts are a Accel HEI w/super coil dizzy and an Internal regulator Alternator, Drum drum on all fours (power will come later), and now power steering and 2/4 coil springs drop.
Now for my question I would like to get the total length for the tie rod assembly left & right sides (inner tie rod,sleeve, outer tie rod) center to center. Any one having a 68 or so C10 that could or would measure (his/hers) it as the steering parts are going to be new and whats on it isn't right for the trucks year fitment parts wise. So off with the Old & on with the New, LOL.
Here's a picture/drawing of what I'm after. These measurements will get me dialed in close as I'm pretty far away from any good "old timer type alignment shop" as I also have new tires that I don't want to "trash them out so soon".
Tie Rods & Sleeves.jpg

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
WOW 19 lookie-loo's and nobody has an answer, can't believe this forum is that dead or maybe nobody has a truck or knows someone that does to get the answer.

·
Registered
793 Posts
I'll tell you how I did it.Get a long piece of straight tubing,center steering wheel,now put jack stands on side of truck,lay tubing on stands so tubing touches the tire about half way up front and back on drivers side.Now adjust your sleeve where your tubing is squared to the rear tire.Make sure steering wheel stays centered.If the track width is wider in front than back just reverse procedure

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Hmm, it is a bit odd. I have a '69 and will be happy to take the measurement.

Sorry about the delay, I get the digest updates and just saw the message.
I know each 1/2 ton truck will be a little different as for the measurements I'm after but it will get me in the ball park
Thank you any help would be great.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'll tell you how I did it.Get a long piece of straight tubing,center steering wheel,now put jack stands on side of truck,lay tubing on stands so tubing touches the tire about half way up front and back on drivers side.Now adjust your sleeve where your tubing is squared to the rear tire.Make sure steering wheel stays centered.If the track width is wider in front than back just reverse procedure
I think your method would be better if using "two rods" so you would "know" if all four wheels are squire to them selves. Buying 14 foot tubing and getting it to be "Straight Enough" (1 or 2 pieces) would get expensive. Not just any pipe like EMT (electrical) or Gas (black pipe) and or Galvanized (water) pipe is straight. It would require a STRAIGHT EDGE of 14 feet long $$$$$'s more then I want to spend there. I have/will be using stock 15" steel wheels 6" wide rims both Frt & Rr tires will be same size. I think the frt wheel track is always slightly wider than the rear wheel track by factory default (could be wrong) but most cars & trucks of my trucks era were built that way.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I think your method would be better if using "two rods" so you would "know" if all four wheels are squire to them selves. Buying 14 foot tubing and getting it to be "Straight Enough" (1 or 2 pieces) would get expensive. Not just any pipe like EMT (electrical) or Gas (black pipe) and or Galvanized (water) pipe is straight. It would require a STRAIGHT EDGE of 14 feet long $$$$$'s more then I want to spend there. I have/will be using stock 15" steel wheels 6" wide rims both Frt & Rr tires will be same size. I think the frt wheel track is always slightly wider than the rear wheel track by factory default (could be wrong) but most cars & trucks of my trucks era were built that way.
Find the center on your tire tread and make a mark with paint or a marker that you can see, all the way around the circumference of the tire. Do this on each side (front tires only) and then measure from the driver's side mark to the passenger's side mark on the rear of the tire. Record the measurement. Now measure the front side of the tire and adjust the tie rod sleeves so that the measurements are close to being the same. This should get you close enough to drive it to the alignment shop without ruining your tires.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Find the center on your tire tread and make a mark with paint or a marker that you can see, all the way around the circumference of the tire. Do this on each side (front tires only) and then measure from the driver's side mark to the passenger's side mark on the rear of the tire. Record the measurement. Now measure the front side of the tire and adjust the tie rod sleeves so that the measurements are close to being the same. This should get you close enough to drive it to the alignment shop without ruining your tires.
That method also works pretty well but I would suggest taking the measurement from the same height from the floor front to back

1 - 8 of 8 Posts