Chevy C10 Truck Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a 1960 Suburban and I've been going through taking stock of everything. In doing so there are areas on the body that will require work sooner than later and there are areas I kind of want to put off for now.

I realize the Patina thing is a love/hate thing, but for now I'm trying to basically just get this truck on the road after sitting for 15yrs in a field and I'm not trying to turn it into a show truck anytime soon, so I'm going with Patina.

With that said, there is an area above the windshield that is rusted out and I'm trying to figure out what to do. One thought for now is spray foam it until I can get in and buy the piece to replace it. I figure I can shape the foam and even apply a bit of paint, but not sure if that's a horrible idea. My thought is that will be one of the first spots to fix along with floorboards once she's up and running, but until I can get to it I want to keep anything out. Hopefully we are only talking a couple of months at best. Any other suggestion on this gap until then? It's about 1" tall x 3" long. I suppose I could gorilla tape it, but that'd be really rough looking!! ;)

After that there is a lot of bare metal and metal that has light surface rust. It's these areas I really have some questions....IF I sand those areas to get rid of the rust, is priming them going to be enough or will the rust happen quickly through the primer? Also, what if I don't buy an automotive primer, just an epoxy spray can primer then wetsand it out. I'm sort of trying to keep the original patina look at least until I get some stuff done and have time to spray the truck, which might be several years....

I used to have a decent knowledge, but I haven't done any painting or body work for about 20yrs on cars, so I realize a lot has likely changed. I recall I used to like that tan epoxy primer that maybe sikkens made, but I don't want to have to pull out a paint gun just to spray a small area. So is using something in a spray can off the shelf a horrible sin? Maybe there are reasonable spray can primers at the auto paint store, but again....would like to know what to get. My thought is I'll sand the area and/or treat the rust and hit with primer then sand it back down until it just looks like primer under the surface as best as I can.

Once everything is fixed, I'll probably strip it all down again anyway to shoot a nice coat of primer and paint, I just don't want to drive around a truck that looks like it's in primer.

Hope this makes sense...

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
I will o some one else will get to you about the primer They make a rust stabilizer that will slow down the rust progress. I would NOT put foam in the roof hole. It will make repairs later a real pain. I'll get you some names of primer and the stabilizer later as we have a foot of snow out there and the shop is not that close.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here's a pic of the hole. Hope it shows clearly. It's just left of the middle of the pic. Probably end up buying a whole new piece if it isn't too hard to replace, otherwise maybe I can fabricate a patch....

Attachments

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I will o some one else will get to you about the primer They make a rust stabilizer that will slow down the rust progress. I would NOT put foam in the roof hole. It will make repairs later a real pain. I'll get you some names of primer and the stabilizer later as we have a foot of snow out there and the shop is not that close.
No huge hurry, we have a day or two of nice then butter cold coming. Is silicone a bad idea? I've cured it should just pull right out.

·
Registered
800 Posts
I'm not a paint guy but here is my thoughts on the surface rust areas.Sand the area then use a self etching primer and top that with a sealer and maybe even a coat or two of clear for insurance.Regular primer can act like a sponge and cause oxidation underneath.For the hole I would think about a temporary patch to lay over and glue it on with silicone and maybe a couple sheet metal screws.I realize that would be ugly but not as bad as the hole.Maybe others here will have other ideas.
David

1 - 5 of 5 Posts