Chevy C10 Truck Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a full set of split rims with my 65. I was wondering if it would be worth it for me to refurbish them or should I just get new ones....

·
Registered
31 Posts
I agree that leaving them on the shelf is the best thing to do. My Dad's 64 has 2 piece wheels. The only guy we could find that wasn't scared of them was a guy in his 70's that still changes tires for a living. The only reason we didn't replace Dad's wheels is because he has a 1 ton and the lug studs are smaller OD than modern wheels.

·
Registered
107 Posts
About the only places that will touch them anymore are the big truck tire shops.

If you'd like to read up on old truck wheels, check out this article here :

New Wheels for Advance Design Big Bolts

Note: This is the first installment of an article that will eventually cover all the medium duty trucks (1.5-ton & 2-ton conventional and COE), 'late '30's through '73. For starters, we're covering 3/4-ton through 2-ton AD trucks.

scroll down to 'split rims' if you'd like to read an explanation as to why not to use them.

I agree with the other folks, get one piece wheels.

-W

·
Registered
93 Posts
I still run the split rims both the two & three piece types. Of course I fix them myself. I fix all my tires its part of being self reliant. Its simple if you know how. a tire hammer and a few spoons is all that's required. if they are in good condition they are no more dangerious than any other rim. I use a long hose to inflate tires. and I wrap a chain around through the hole in the center and the tire. I had the bead break when inflating a tire mounted on a conventional rim while it was still on the tire machine. I thought that my arm was broken? man that hurt like the dickens! I never done that no more times.

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
I do mine all the time too. My 57 1 ton dump had the 3 peace rims when filling I always turned them over so if it came apart it didn't go far. Never had one come apart. just have to keep them clean

1 - 7 of 7 Posts