Chevy C10 Truck Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello all. My sons and I are rebuilding the aluminum automatic powerglide from our '66 C10 and have a question regarding a part we found. We've never worked on a tranny but felt like we could rebuild this together. After taking it completely apart and replacing all the seals, we found this little mesh screen filter laying on the floor. We're unsure where it fell out of and can't find anything online to know where to put it back before reassembling the tranny. I think it probably fell out of the valve body or possibly one of the pumps but I'd be grateful if someone could advise so we can finish putting it back together.

It is 1 3/4" long and about 3/16" thick. It is crimped shut on one end and the other end has a brass ring for structural support. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
Wow, hate it when there`s parts left over...wish I could help but never been into a power glide, but I bet Charlie has, give him time to check in here to anti up..

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
OK from what I remember,(haven't had one apart in 30 years) that belongs under the valve body. It keeps the BIG pieces out of the pump if it goes bad. Really not needed if every thing else is good.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks everyone for the input. It appears the general consensus from this site, other blogs, and tranny shops is that it really isn't necessary. For anyone reading this thread with the same problem, another blogger said the following "If you look at page #43 of the Powerglide transmission Book by Carl Munroe there is a view of the bottom of the transmission. There are two ports under the valve body one is the pressure port #11 and one is the suction port #12. I have the brass ring with out the mesh, it fell out of port #11. I talked to several transmission repair mechanics and they are not familiar with the part. I do know that I have disassembled 3 powerglides and only 1 had that brass ring w/mesh." The picture in the book isn't the same as the valve body that came out of my tranny thus I was unable to find an applicable hole to put the screen in. I'll probably just leave mine out.

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
Thanks for the follow up, I`m sure it will help someone else...! beer

1 - 6 of 6 Posts