Chevy C10 Truck Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i have gotten the truck down to just the cab remaining on the frame. while i wait for the $$ for floor pans and rocker panels i've started the rust repair on the back half of the frame. My buddy i work with used rustoleum rusty metal primer on his rock crawler frame and top-coated with rustoleum satin black and it came out pretty good. So far i have been using wire wheels, flap wheels and sand paper to bust most of the rust, but for the tricky spots i was thinking of using loctite naval jelly rust desolver. Now the bottle says wash off with water, and the primer says wash areas first with soapy water. My question is, my buddy said he prepped his frame with mineral spirits prior to applying the primer. Does anyone have advice on if a soapy wash will do, or will a wash and than mineral spirit wipe hurt me down the road??

Attachments

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
these were soaked in white vinegar for four days...Don`t think I would use mineral spirits as it has an oil in it...use water and soap painters use red star soap dose`nt leave a residue, you can use evaporust on the frame as well sold just about everywhere....also for small parts get a bucket and a gallon of with vinegar ( the cheap stuff ) it will strip rust in about four days, or you can use citric acid found in the well stocked stores its in powder form mix with water same idea for smaller parts, these are all environmentally safe..

·
Registered
415 Posts
i have used vinegar on my other car part(s) and just kept it soaking ...

its cheap and effective also saves you a lot in the long one ... imo

1 - 4 of 4 Posts