Chevy C10 Truck Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered a gas tank sending unit for my 64 1/2 from one of the larger vendors. When I put it into the tank, I had a somewhat difficult time getting the unit turned in the right direction to go in. Then, when it finally was in, it did not sit flat on the tank, and seemed as though the pickup tube was hitting the side of the tank inside. Also, the tube was not in line with the tube that goes to the fuel pump, so I could not screw the two together. Removing the new unit, I compared it with my original one and found that the pickup tube bend was slightly off, compared to my original.
Also, I discovered that the stud that the gas gauge wire attaches to is a metric thread, so you cannot use your old sender's nut. A new metric nut does not come with the new unit. I called the vendor and talked to a tech person who told me that yes, some are slightly off and hit the inside of the tank and all I have to do is bend the tube a bit. As to the metric nut, he said that I should have a push on connector, not a ring connector. The ring connector is original. Needless to say, I asked for a RMA and sent the sending unit back.

I realize that these units are from Taiwan, China, or who knows where, and I don't know how many manufacturers of these sending units there are. Perhaps only one? Does anyone know who makes a good sending unit that fits well without excuses. I'm really tired, as I'm sure most of you are, of substandard junk that does not fit properly.

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
I`m only guessing that there are only one or two MFG`rs, and both overseas junk, mine in my tank was replaced about ten years ago, everything was as original, bolted right up, but had noticed the quality was not there as original, it still works but not sure how much longer, I`ve already gone to a rear tank install, just need to finish a few details, the new sender is also made overseas but the quality of this one is far superior, its all heavy stainless...I know I haven`t helped much but feel your pain none the less...

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
When I took my old unit out and replaced it I took it apart, the only thing bad was the reostat, its a shame they don`t make just the reostat as a replacement for the originals....

·
Registered
797 Posts
Dale<I know what you mean on the foreign stuff,can be hard to deal with.I wont even go into what it took to install my door panels and trim ,that would take all day to explain,just dealt with it the best I could.No other option
David

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I guess what bothers me the most is the "I don't care" attitude some of these parts vendors display. You would think that they would be a bit concerned that the sending unit pickup tube is bent incorrectly, or that a metric screw is being used and the OE nut won't fit. I know most don't have the parts made for them, so they have no say in what materials are used or how that part is constructed. But they should be concerned they are selling a part that just does not fit correctly, and possibly offer one that does, or don't sell that part if it is known (by customer complaints) to be a piece of junk.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Its the world we live in today my friend.Saw it years ago when I worked for a contractor.Old hands do a job,stand back and say I did that with pride,Young bucks stand back and say ok,when do I get paid.Not all of them,but unfortunately it was most ,at least around here anyway.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts