Chevy C10 Truck Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my 350, one of my rocker arm studs have pulled out. I believe tapping for screwed in studs are the way to go. Has anyone else done this? Not sure of the correct studs and tap to get. No big cam or high performance parts, just a stock motor. Thanks

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
Personally I would pull the head and take it to a shop They are usually taped to 3/8" /16 . You don't want to get them crooked.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Back in the day, we would drill and pin them with a curled pin type dowel pin. It's probably not as good as machining it for screw-in studs, but it was cheaper on a high school kid's budget.

Maybe if you can heat the casting slightly and tap the stud back in, then drill and pin it to keep it from pulling out?

But drilling and tapping is a more quality way of doing it. They do need to be set in the same angle and manner as they were as cffisher says.

·
old, fat admin
11 Posts
you can get .001 oversize studs, drive in and forget. double nut, leave the top nut up a couple threads to keep from hammering the threads on top of the stud. I've never had one slip after this repair.

Tom

·
Registered
17 Posts
At my house we pull them all cut down the bosses and tap them 7/16NC and install 74 Z28 studs and guide plates. Not hard any cyl head shop can do it, I just wanted to do it myself.

·
Registered
56 Posts
At my house we pull them all cut down the bosses and tap them 7/16NC and install 74 Z28 studs and guide plates. Not hard any cyl head shop can do it, I just wanted to do it myself.
I did what he did. The bosses on my Vortec heads had to be cut .420 to allow for the stud nut and guide plate, the tools can be bought from Summit or Jegs for about a hundred bucks. A mill or good drill press is a good thing to have but not necessary. It is just much slower by hand drill. To pull the old studs I use the old rocker nuts stacked and the old adjusting nuts with a impact they can be pulled in short order, use lotsa anti-seize on the treads and use a new nut as the old one wears. Jegs also sells a fixture to keep the tap straight. Have fun.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts