Chevy C10 Truck Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First time question since I am new to this forum. I appreciate any insight you might have for me. I have a 1966 C10 short bed with a 250 and 4 speed. For many years of it's life it was my work truck. I also took my family across the US and back three times camping- so I have a lot of affection for the truck.
It's time I started restoring her for my grandkids- so far I have put disc brakes on it. Plan to replace the bed, new upholstery and generally put it back into good shape.

Recently I was offered a complete 305 engine that is in perfect shape and I am trying to decide whether or not to stick with the 250 or do the upgrade. The 250 still runs fine. The 305 is a newer engine would facilitate power steering, etc. I was wondering if anyone has made this conversion and how straight forward was it.
I 'm curious about the trade off between authenticity vs upgrading the vehicle for driving. Want to make something that the grandkids will value....

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
First off pmeyers sign0016 to C10 Trucks. That is a fairly easy conversion. But you may find that the 305 doesn't have the power you think it may. If I were going to go make the change I'd go with a 350. I have had 305s and they are knid of gutless. Others may say different. Anyway Welcome to the site post some pictures of your 66 and anim_25

·
Registered
29 Posts
If you were closer I'd help with your decision and take that 250 off your hands!

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have known 3 different people who have over 200,000 miles on their 305 and they are still going, not burning oil or leaking. Not many engines you can say that about. That said, the 250 is a tough one too.
Welcome to the forum, plenty of knowledge here for you to draw from.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for the comments. My 250 has really worked hard and is approaching 200. Did rings and valves about 50,000 miles ago. Still runs clean and strong.
Figured that I would stay with it until a friend offered me this 305 for a very good price. It has been rebuilt by a really good local machine shop with no miles on it. Was a project that someone changed direction on. Thought it might be a good reset for my truck.
I will post a picture after I replace the windshield that someone broke where I had the truck stored. Looks pretty pathetic right now.
I am looking forward to digging into of the descriptions of what people have done to their trucks. It's a great site...!

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
Welcome to the forum, I`m not an authority on 305`s but the latter 305 vortec style TPI motor have a bit more power to them due to the heads, great for low and mid range power but fall off at about 4k rpm....sign0016

1 - 6 of 6 Posts