Chevy C10 Truck Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Administrator & Sheet Metal Junkie
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a small repair panel to make on the inside of the A-pillar that supports the lower hinge. They are available from Danchuck and some other vendors but I only need about eight inches or less, and don't want to cut that out of a 28 plus inch panel, and then have to modify it to fit.

So off I went on my venture. :) here is the piece I have to duplicate, without the rust of course.

Since I had the I beams handy I figured that it would work as good as any buck I would have to make.

I used my air hammer to gain the deep shape rather quickly.

Now I rotated the sheet back and forth to get an edge on my sheet metal..

Once I had the area stretched out I would planish it on my anvil.

Here it is cut out and ready for me to tip the edge.

Here's the holes and the edge tipped.

Here it's welded in place. Which this is the weld threw penetration, being I welded from the other side.

Thanks For Looking :D

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
Sweet Steve, now for people like me that are limited to tools I would have to build in two parts, first the bucket or recessed area, basic shape then fold the corners up... tack, then form the verticle plate and weld the recessed area in. Still acceptable...?

·
Administrator & Sheet Metal Junkie
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Rich any way you can get the job done is acceptable. However even if you had a few small pieces of plywood, and a mallet, or hammer, you can do most, if not all in one piece.
The only reason I used the I-beams they were on the bench for another job. So replace that with wood and ya get the same results. I also didn't have to use my air hammer but it sped things up a bit. The tipping wheel could have been replaced with a rounded off chisel. All these things can be swapped for what's at hand. Ya have to look at things, or objects a bit different when needing to shape. The least complicated the best. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts