Chevy C10 Truck Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
How much should I remove? I have the radiator out, and it looks like I will need to remove the sheet metal stampings in front of radiator too. The hood will need to come off too, for hoist clearance. Anything else in the way?

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
Just the hood and radiator...! plenty of room..

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
Whats the plans on it....? curious minds...anim_63

·
Registered
93 Posts
Leave the bellhousing attached to the crossmember. just unbolt it from the engine. Remove fan and pulley. Actually the 292 isn't any longer than the 250 or 230. its a taller deck engine. notice how much larger the metal side covers are than those on a 250.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Leave the bellhousing attached to the crossmember. just unbolt it from the engine. Remove fan and pulley. Actually the 292 isn't any longer than the 250 or 230. its a taller deck engine. notice how much larger the metal side covers are than those on a 250.
I have the six bolts removed that clamp the bell housing to the block. Long ago, I pulled a 307 out of a 68 GMC and dropped in a 327. Those V8 engines are shorter front to back, which is my only experience.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Whats the plans on it....? curious minds...anim_63
This 292 is mixing oil with coolant in generous quantities. Bad sounds too. I have a 1977 292, which you can see a piece of at the right side of the photo. I will be installing that engine. Due to the model year, it has an HEI distributor.

·
Registered
93 Posts
That newer engine will also have hardened valves and be compatable with unleaded fuel. I use several six cyl engines. Those 292,s will really pull. the only drawback is they like fuel. My wife owns a 66 3/4 ton with a 292. Her daddy bought it new in December of 1965. it has 456 gears. She ouit driving it when fuel got to $4 a gallon. . I use a lot of the 250,s . We are thinking of swapping in a 250 and getting taller gears.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the info on the hardened valve seats. This is a half ton truck with 3.73 gears. I won’t be driving it a lot; it will be stored during winter to keep it away from Minnesota road salt.

·
Registered
93 Posts
The road salt has claimed a lot of sheet metal. My wife's Father lived in Rockford when he bought her truck new. And it has a poor heater. the cold air is taken from the cowl and the little heater core simply isn't big enough to heat extremely cold air. Her Father didn't handle cold very well. So he did not drive the chevy during the winter. And that saved to truck. It has very little rust.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts