Chevy C10 Truck Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How would one determine if the rear axle housing is bad and needs to be replaced? I have a 1965 and in the process of make it a rolling chassis I noticed the passenger axle shaft had a lot of play. When I pulled the axle the bearings were gone. The new bearing set from Auto Zone just slides into the housing without any effort. I didn't know if maybe it was an incorrect bearing set or the housing may have been wallowed out somewhat.

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
One of two possible solutions, they do sell a double wide bearing, ( I don`t have a part number ) this would put the bearing in an unworn part of the housing..and some people have coated the outside of the bearing with lock tight when installing axles back in with no issues provided the clearance wasn`t too great... one to thousand. you`ll need a feeler gauge to check the clearance.

·
Registered
20 Posts
How would one determine if the rear axle housing is bad and needs to be replaced? I have a 1965 and in the process of make it a rolling chassis I noticed the passenger axle shaft had a lot of play. When I pulled the axle the bearings were gone. The new bearing set from Auto Zone just slides into the housing without any effort. I didn't know if maybe it was an incorrect bearing set or the housing may have been wallowed out somewhat.
Stay away from Autozone parts. That said, there has been a lot of time since your truck was new or in the "service bays" so there may be some mistakes in the catalogs. Can you get any numbers off of your good bearing? It may be worth sacrificing the seal and bearing to get the right parts. Also, if you can get good measurements of the axle tube and axle shaft (is the shaft still good or does it have to be replaced too)? To get a reliable measurement of the axle tube to see if it is worn out of round you may want to invest in a bore gauge. Good luck

1 - 3 of 3 Posts