Chevy C10 Truck Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
`65 chevy truck 007.jpg Hi guys, well here`s my dillema. Back in october when i bought my truck, i was pretty excited to just hear it run or IF it did, the radiator was laying in the bed but you could tell it was in the truck at some point. The guy I bought it from (not a car guy at all) said that it was his dad`s (who was a gearhead & in his 80`s) & had passed away several months prior, had drove the truck, but not in several years. Sooo, like a 16 year old kid (I`m 55) I hurried up got on e-bay, & ordered a 3 row aluminum rad. that was direct replacement, same dimensions as the one laying in the bed ! So, here it is 3 months later, I finally take the new radiator out of the box just to check it out & guess what ? It doesn`t fit between the frame rails & into the radiator saddles (which by the way the crossmember with the saddles is bent) I`m assuming the "non car guy" hooked a chain to it to pull it around. So I`m sure I`m not the only one who has this type of radiator. I would appreciate some ideas on mounting. Thanks Don

Attachments

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
If it were me, pull the radiator support bracket with the saddles and straighten it, you`ll need to buy the rubber mounts from LMC or Classic that drop down in the saddles, you will also find that the top mount will not fit with the stock rubber in it, I used vaccum tubing cut to length to fit the channels then push down over radiator.

Attachments

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Rich, I need to see if I`m understanding you correctly. Are you saying to remount the "radiator cross member"with the saddles,on the top of the frame rails? It is currently mounted on the bottom frame rail & the new radiator is too wide to slide between the rails (23") the new radiator is 25.5w x22,50" x2.75" thick

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
So my understanding is that your new radiator does not fit within your frame rails or it does not fit in the two u shape saddles...? My rad is 25 wide so I`m not understanding this...
The pic of your rad lower mount, I would use a bottle jack and jack it up underneath to maybe straighten it out, you may have to remove it entirely to straighten it, LMC sells the lower saddles and the rubber isolators for your rad to sit in, physically your rad should fit, my measurements are the same.. LMC items 9 and 10 and by the way the top rad mount is not right, looks to be a six cylinder mount. Maybe this is the issue all this time it was originally a six cylinder truck.
http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/cbe/865w/0033.jpg

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Correct, my radiator is 25.5" wide & my frame rail inside to inside is 23". The saddles are 2.5" (without pads) the new radiator is 2.75" The old radiator was in the back of the truck, but I can tell it was in the truck at sometime. It must have just sat on top of the frame rails & held by the pressure of the top hold down bracket. What I am wondering is if the truck at one time was a 6 banger & had a narrower radiator with the saddles/crossmember mounted on the bottom of the frame rails, & possibly the v-8`s had a wider radiator with the saddles/crossmember mounted on top of the frame rails. Hopefully I made sense trying to explain this.

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
First pic ( not my truck ) v8 rad lower mounts with out rubber isolators, second pic my upper rad mount, you may have to change out the lower mount altogether, not sure yet without looking into it. See what I can find out..

Attachments

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Rich, thanks for all your input. I think I need to spend more time in the garage & less time on the computer! I just pulled the old radiator out again & after a better look, it seems all I have to do, is straighten the crossmember & remount the saddles in holes that are provided on top of the crossmember. This will put the saddles even with the top rails. I may have to buy some wider saddles to accomodate my radiator which is 2.75" I hope the picture shows what I mean. The first picture you just sent of the crossmember, also shows the 2 holes to remount the saddles. That brings them up approx. 4"

Attachments

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
here`s a better pic for you, `65 V8, and now your on the right track, you`ll nee to find the stock side seals for your radiator and buy a shroud, but this will get you going.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts