Chevy C10 Truck Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I started this in the new person area but I thought it better here.. I am going to look/buy at a 1962 tomorrow. One I am looking at is basically rust free. Has surface rust here and there. One small rust through at the bottom rear of the front fender. It's been the majority of its life in Arizona. Then 20 years in a warehouse in Michigan. Fleetside longbed, 6 cyl (235 I'd guess), 4 speed on the floor (top loader?). Well, 3 and granny gear. Pretty much original with 93k miles. Even what appears to be the original seat doesn't have any tears. Looks very solid. Asking $6000. In the ball park?

Also, 1962 is the last year for a couple things..

1. 235 engine. any reason to stay away? I had one in a 1953 3100 once. liked it. Changed the rod bearings in the apartment parking lot. hey I was 19 years old.

2. torsion bar front springs. I will be lowering a little (maybe the 2.5" drop spindles?) and may later swap in a small block V8. Will keep/drive the 6 for now. would the torsion bars restrict any of that?

3. 4 speed granny trans ok?

Thank you.. more questions to come I'm sure..

JB

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
The price one pays is there personal feeling. If it is what you want the price won't matter. I always look at it that way but tend to dicker price just because I can. There is no such thing as a price that can't change. How bad dose he want to sell?? I know this doesn't help you any but the purchase of ANYTHING is ultimately the choice of the buyer. Good luck with your choice tomorrow.

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
2.5 drop spindles kit will work fine on the truck with the torsion bars thru CPP, ( note they only come with a disc brake kit for it but still worth the money and upgrade...) Also the only issue with the `62 and earlier trucks as the are a x member frame, just a little more difficult to swap some transmissions but doable now with all the kits out there..the typical four speed trans in those trucks are not gas friendly, later down the road might consider a rear axle / trans update for better MPG and performance...the `63 on down GMC Chevys used the eaton rear axles, there are no gear choices out there for them, whats in it is what you get, either 3.73 or 4.11 or even 4.30....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I didn't make the purchase. After several calls and texts. the seller (a dealer) was being such a prick and making it so difficult to make the purchase, that I decided against even going to look/buy it. No worries, there are many out there. I am going to check out a 1966 in the next day or so..

JB

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
Well, I didn't make the purchase. After several calls and texts. the seller (a dealer) was being such a prick and making it so difficult to make the purchase, that I decided against even going to look/buy it. No worries, there are many out there. I am going to check out a 1966 in the next day or so..

JB
Good luck, post pics before buying, maybe we can help...!

·
Registered
45 Posts
It will come...keep lookin'. There are many of these old pieces of artwork still out there...and well, someone has to keep 'em going. Might as well be us! beer

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
Watch your local craigslist, newspaper ads, check back alleys, old barns, old warehouse areas and storage yards....you`ll be surprised as to what you`ll find...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts