Chevy C10 Truck Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Curious how much of the front end I need to pull apart to pull both at the same time? Just the radiator or do I need to take the grill out as well?

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
Well this is my second time doing this. When I learn this new computer I'll try just doing it once.. Yes the radiator and hood have to come off. Then all wiring and hoses off, throttle linkage. the rear trans mount (if there is one ) has to come off(OUT) shift linkage has to come off. Plug the rear of the trans so all fluid doesn't run out when lifted. I usually put a floor jack under the tail shaft of trans till I start the pick. Hook up to engine using two pick points one front and one rear trying to balance it so you can pull assembly out in one pieces. There is a tool that will help in this (pictured) Plan on being frusterated but don't get your self where you can get hurt. Your playing with a lot of weight. If your using a crane or hoist be sure you have it adjusted to the max. weight it will pick. remove engine mount bolts and lift up. This is where you may have to set it down again that change your pick points. It is not hard to do but some times it can be a real pain. Good luck and be careful.

Attachments

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
Brian you can pull the whole front clip off in one piece including the hood and even the radiator, but usually its best to do some dissassembly. I would suggest removing the hood, bumper, radiator, then disconnect wiring at the firewall for lights, remove the upper fenders(cowl extensions the ones behind the hood and in front of the door) then unbolt the rear fender bolts, the rear inner fender bolts, and the radiator support mounting pad bolts. You should be able to lift it off in one piece. Not how far you going to pull everything down as of yet but this would open everything up for you to start your adventure..

·
Registered
2 Posts
Need to pull my engine also 66 Small block

This will be our first time using a hoist crane. We are removing the hood and radiator.
What are common items needed when reinstalling? Gaskets, fluids, mounts.....etc.

Trying to have everything ready to expedite the process. We need to remove it to troubleshoot an oil leak.
This engine appears to be a small block V8 from 55-59 by looking at the valve covers.
Any help would be appreciate. I am new to this site.

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
This will be our first time using a hoist crane. We are removing the hood and radiator.
What are common items needed when reinstalling? Gaskets, fluids, mounts.....etc.

Trying to have everything ready to expedite the process. We need to remove it to troubleshoot an oil leak.
This engine appears to be a small block V8 from 55-59 by looking at the valve covers.
Any help would be appreciate. I am new to this site.
Welcome to the forum Chevy Dad, your are right with any soft materials (rubber and gaskets) need replacement including trans mount, whats different about your valve covers that makes you think its a 55`59 engine....?

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
Don't know but the early Chevy engines had staggered bolt holes in the valve covers. I think I just answered a post about an oil leak. Hope you can find it with out pulling the engine. The exhaust system may cause problems along with the rear cross member which will also have to come out. Get a plug for the rear of the trans as when you pick it most of the fluid will run out. anim_25

1 - 6 of 6 Posts