Chevy C10 Truck Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Lately been thinking of going back to a stick trans, not sure why, just thinking, anyways I have been looking for a NP`440 trans, GM`s version of the a833 mopar overdrive, looks like a muncie, but with a final ratio in fourth of .73, they seem to be little elusive, found two on ebay at a premium price, and two locally one severely rusted main shaft, no linkage, the second has no linkage and no bell housing, these are bell housing specific, also thought just go ahead and put in a t`10 or muncie and be done with it, they have really come down in price lately because everybody is going to OD either 700r4 or the T5, then I got to looking at the AX15, used in `92 to 99 jeeps, both 2 and four wheel drive units, they are 5 speed trans, torque rating at 330 lbs,( same as the standard GM t`5 ) now I know a lot of jeep owners that have them with no trouble in the off road community, ( we`re not far from the Rubicon trail ), they make a chevy bell housing for them or a adapter plate for the chevy bell housing to mate them up, you use all standard factory GM parts for the clutch, the shifter is a center top mount that would come up thru the floor just 2 inches back behind the original location of the shifter, the trans weighs in at 95 lbs, the drive shaft slip yoke will have to be changed I believe the shaft is slightly smaller. Found one locally last night on CL a `96 for $200...think that that might be the ticket, anybody have one in their Jeep, or other vehicle, opinions welcome...? Note the AX15 trans has a 3.83 first gear and a .79 fith gear. that equates to 2100 RPM at 65 for my gears.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Camaro T5 is what I'd look for. You'll pay good $ for it, but it'll bolt to any Chevy bell housing. It doesn't have to be mounted twisted to the side like it is in the Camaro.

Ray

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ray I`ve been giving all this some thought, being budget minded it probably what I come across, the jeep AX-15 has shown to be just as good as the T-5, and a whole lot cheaper, I would rather find a NP-440, but they have proven a real rarity, but I`m still looking, there have been several on e-bay, but they`re on bid and still going....LOL

·
Registered
30 Posts
How much does a Gear Venders unit go for these days? Just curious....

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think they start at 3k,,,,ouch:(

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just beem tossing this trans idea around awhile, anyways I`ve got a saginaw four speed that was given to me some time ago, its in good shape its an 1981 from a camaro, its got the TT tailshaft on it, I`ve read its shifter mount specific for the ( torque tube )some say its actually torque plate, trans id number 456, some say I can use the trans number 441 linkage on it, does anybody have any knowlege on it.

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)

Just found out that they had two versions of this trans, one with only the lower bolt holes and one with all three bolt holes, I need to go look at mine to see which one I got.....
If I have to change tail housings, maybe I`ll just convert it to a overdrive......http://www.chevytrucks.org/tech/overdrive.htm

·
Registered
30 Posts
Rich, the tail housing in that pic is the some one that's on mine in my '60 wagon. Post a pic of yours if you can.
Camaro's had a torque arm those years, it just bolted to the tail housing. You should be fine.

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hurst Comp Plus with saginaw kit. Saginaw rods are different than the Muncie/T10 rods that come with it. Had to replace the stick with the 61-62 bench seat stick, but other than that was pretty straight forward. No issues.

·
Registered
30 Posts
The shifter mounts to the tail housing bolts and then is secured in the rear by a U bolt around the output seal flange of the tail housing. It's a lot like a 3 speed shifter set up.

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Finally found some pics of the shift linkage I need, heck just finding a good pic is as hard as finding linkage.....:D

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
Rich, that mount is WAY different than mine. Mine places the shifter forward on the trans some. Something to consider if you have a bench seat.

·
Registered
30 Posts
So how are you making out with your transmission quest, Rich. Any update?

I just scored a manual 3spd O/D for my '65. I'll be installing it along with power steering soon. Can't wait!!!

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I`m still looking and deciding, they just got done with my surgery on Monday the 15th, removed a disc in my back, all the pain is gone, nerosurgeon said I won`t miss it, they had me up and walking tuesday morning and it was like I never had surgery so they kicked me out that day, 6 to 8 weeks of just taking it easy, no bending, twisting, reaching, leaning, or sitting for more that 30 minutes or over ten lbs, so I`m really restricted right now, surgery site is about a two inch scar, today it dosen`t bother me at all, they had me on oxycodiene, for the pain, I haven`t had any today so thats a good sign....so I`ve got a lot of time to sarch and look...I have located three ax-15 they are cheap, 2 to 300 on CL for a 96 to 2000 models...haven`t found any a-440, but I`ll call a few wreckers and see if they have any...I will have to find a clutch pedal assembly as I thrrew mine out 20 years ago.....

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hope you have a speedy recovery and keep us posted with what you end up with. I may post pix of my overdrive install as it happens. Driving down to DC tomorrow to pick it up.

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So how are you making out with your transmission quest, Rich. Any update?

I just scored a manual 3spd O/D for my '65. I'll be installing it along with power steering soon. Can't wait!!!
When you install the power steering get your bracket from CaptFab over on the 67to 72 site, its a real nice piece, complete with a template, it sets the box out on the frame the right amount to center the linkage, then everything is a boltup.

·
Registered
30 Posts
When you install the power steering get your bracket from CaptFab over on the 67to 72 site, its a real nice piece, complete with a template, it sets the box out on the frame the right amount to center the linkage, then everything is a boltup.
Already did!!!
Super nice piece!!! I like the fact that all four bolts go through the frame. All the other kits i looked at have the lower bolt below the frame. His kit is definitely the way to fly!! Now i just gotta get the time to put it in....

1 - 20 of 23 Posts