Chevy C10 Truck Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am changing my Manuel Steering Gear Box over to Power Steering and I am looking at a gear box with these numbers on it and I would like to know what they are or what year it is. Here they are picture below, Thanks in advance

Attachments

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
From what I can find that is a Saginaw steering box for 84 / 87 4x4. I looked back at your previous posts and all I see is you have a C10 NO years posted .

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
Any part number that is CAST into the iron housing or CAST into the aluminum side cover, is exactly that -- saginaw in house casting number. It will not help you in any way to find your particular steering gear. Starting around 1969 Saginaw started ink stamping a two letter code on the side cover and/or the aluminum end plug. The two letter code was used at the GM assembly plants to keep different part number gears separate. (It was much easier to glance at a two letter alpha code than a 8 digit part number.) your 1 / 236 is julian date code 71 or 81 of Aug 24....saginaw in house stamp

Unfortunately, the ink stamp numbers were never considered to be a thirty year identification.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
From what I can find that is a Saginaw steering box for 84 / 87 4x4. I looked back at your previous posts and all I see is you have a C10 NO years posted .
My truck originally is a 68 C10, 6cyl, 3OTT, coils on all 4's 373 rear gears. Past Owners have put in a 305 motor with 73-87 perches, 700R4 trans and God knows what was used for the support cross member, and mickey mouse'd the linkage on steering column for shifting to the trans. I'll stop there because this could go on & on & on. Past Owners with there Ideas has made my wallet a hole lot thinner now as we all have found out from buying someones Brain Storming of a idea on what these trucks should have to get them down the road. Now that's a LOL LOL thing PO or past owners

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Any part number that is CAST into the iron housing or CAST into the aluminum side cover, is exactly that -- saginaw in house casting number. It will not help you in any way to find your particular steering gear. Starting around 1969 Saginaw started ink stamping a two letter code on the side cover and/or the aluminum end plug. The two letter code was used at the GM assembly plants to keep different part number gears separate. (It was much easier to glance at a two letter alpha code than a 8 digit part number.) your 1 / 236 is julian date code 71 or 81 of Aug 24....saginaw in house stamp

Unfortunately, the ink stamp numbers were never considered to be a thirty year identification.
So should I look for the Ink stamp for further id'ing? I under stand the #1 being 71 or 81 but how did the 236 end up to be "Aug 24? Where did you find or what book did you find the numbers in that I provided for you all for identification ?

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If the gear box is what you say it is "84-87 4x4" will it work/or mount in my truck? I have seen that the Pitman Arms are different in how they mount to the gear output shaft 2wd has a Nut to mount & 4x4 is a Pinch style mount.

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
So should I look for the Ink stamp for further id'ing? I under stand the #1 being 71 or 81 but how did the 236 end up to be "Aug 24? Where did you find or what book did you find the numbers in that I provided for you all for identification ?
Most all production companies use a Julian date calendar, if eliminates confusion, I didnot allow for the leap year( you add one day for each leap year ) so if they use the leap year I would have to subtract 9 days, that would put it about Aug 15.....you can look for the ink stamp, may or may not be there, they really needed to use a five digit Julian date code....

Attachments

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Most all production companies use a Julian date calendar, if eliminates confusion, I didnot allow for the leap year( you add one day for each leap year ) so if they use the leap year I would have to subtract 9 days, that would put it about Aug 15.....you can look for the ink stamp, may or may not be there, they really needed to use a five digit Julian date code....
Maybe these pic's might help for identification.

Attachments

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
maybe they reinstated the factory stamping in the later years ( not sure ) if thats the case then its either 78 or 88 254 day of the year but they would pt it on the cover plate or the bottom end plug..

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
maybe they reinstated the factory stamping in the later years ( not sure ) if thats the case then its either 78 or 88 254 day of the year but they would pt it on the cover plate or the bottom end plug..

Why wouldn't or couldn't it be a 68. I didn't find any stamp on the end curved plate.

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Could be..!
Then I guess the only way to tell what year it is is to try a early pressure hoses (68) and then a later pressure hose (80's) to see the difference in the threads being SAE or Metric. At least that will narrow down the year it is.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts