Chevy C10 Truck Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last week my Dad was driving his 1970 C20, not realizing it leaked oil he ran it dry. When I get home in the fall I'm going to help him pull the motor and do a rebuild. I want to make a part list before I get home so we are ready to go when it comes time. I would like your help identifying the engine and transmission that came originally with the truck. I have done a little VIN research and here is what I know:
4x2
3/4 Ton
pickup
V8 (pretty confident it is a 350ci
Made at the Fremont plant

The VIN is CE240Z143300

Any help identifying the engine/transmission would be greatly appreciated.

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
The vin will not decode engine size just the V8 or six, so with that being said you`ll need to get the numbers off of the block, passenger side front pad just below the front of the cylinder head, we can id those numbers.

·
Registered
7 Posts
If it's like my engine, there is no stamp/numbers there. According to various internet sources, this could be because my motor was a swap and is either a crate engine, circle track or a warranty swap. You can however find a block casting at the back of the engine, passenger side. Hard to see however - I just hung my phone over that part, snapped several pictures, and one of them came out perfect!

This will only tell you the engine block, and not the truck specifics however...

Here is a reference for block casting numbers (use at your own risk)... http://www.enginelabs.com/news/reference-chevy-engine-block-casting-numbers/

-quig

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
Quig you could have started your own thread by the way...any ways your engine casting number 10243880 was used extensively for the ZZ 4, vortec, and standard 350, now the ZZ4 used aluminum heads, if its a vortec it would have heads casting numbers ending in 906 or 062( you might be able to see them with the oil fill cap off looking down at the head ) other than that it would have the 882 heads on it for the standard 350...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts