Chevy C10 Truck Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So while I was pressure washing last weekend I discovered no vent in the axle tube, just a hole. I guessed that I put a quart of water in there before I figured it out. No worries I figure I will open things up and change fluids.

Yesterday I notice the tires spin together, but wont spin independently even with some force put to it. I opened up the cover and didn't find much lube but at least there was some. It does have a posi, but it does not release. I found one small piece of ground up metal, and a couple small rocks in the lube.

I found a shim in the left hand side side that had worked it way most of the way out. A punch and a hammer put it back into place. The ring and pinion look good. There is still black paint on the ring gear in many places.

This prompted me to pull the drums off and it is obvious the outer seals leaking is where the fluid went.

So will the posi clutch free up when it makes a tight turn for the first few times or do I need to do something different?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well I went digging today. Found large pieces of metal in there. there was so much grit in the oil I decided to replace all the bearings.
Got it all apart. Outer bearings and front pinion were junk. Inside ones seemed ok but they are getting replaced.

I am going to switch to a 3.42 or a 3.55 gear set. It has a 3.73 and I want it to have the ability to run down the highway easily. It has granny gear so if it is a bit too tall to start in 2nd. I have all the numbers off the housing and the ring but they do not seem to match with anything,

So tomorrow on the order list.
Complete master rear end kit with a 3.42/3.55 ratio.
Complete brake assemblies with wheel cylinders
Complete brake line set.
A few bags of sand for my little blaster.

Attachments

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well the shop called back. There is a split between 342 and 373. Not what ordering catalog said. So now I am frustrated,
1. Spent a bunch of money to get it done because I assumed I was doing something wrong.
2. Parts house is questionable if they will refund. Everything needs to be in new condition which the master bearing kit will obviously not be.
3. I have to stick with the 3.73 because correct center section is back ordered at least till spring.

Hope someone can not make the mistake I did.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts