Chevy C10 Truck Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Newbie here.. I’m guessing many of you will have seen this issue before, but thought I would just post up and see if it’s what I think it is or if there’s a quick fix?
Driving my C10 85 302 yesterday after approx a 40 mile round trip it suddenly stalled at a junction. Never done it before, and I thought it was a one off, took full throttle to start and now drives, but needs plenty of right foot and stalls at every roundabout? Also lots of black smoke and backfiring on overun? Thought it was ignition because of the back firing, but after thinking about it, have turned my thoughts to carb? Think it’s a Rochester quadrajet? Anyone had experience of this? Need to fix this week, so any thoughts would be welcome.
Did do a few bits to it on Saturday, swapped out a leaky rad and fixed the rusty fluid pipes from the tranny to the rad, otherwise touched nothing else?

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
Welcome to the forum Grazzer, glad to have you here...couple of things come to mind, first check your Vacuum advance, the hose that runs from the distribute to the carb, make sure its connected and no leaks, ( they usually split at the connecting points ) if it looks good visually then with the engine off disconnect the hose from the carb and suck on the hose if you have no resistance then the vacuum dashpot is bad, you`ll need to replace it. if its good then check the carb throttle pump, by looking down into the carb while operating the throttle by hand to ensure you get a pump stream in the carb with the engine off as well...if very little or no stream you need a need throttle pump seal plunger..

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply Rich, I’ll try those points. Interestingly this morning I drove it into work (only 3 miles) and it was fine? Does the float in the carb stick stopping fuel into the first choke?

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
Thanks for your reply Rich, I’ll try those points. Interestingly this morning I drove it into work (only 3 miles) and it was fine? Does the float in the carb stick stopping fuel into the first choke?
Float could be sticking (open ) or sinking causing to run overly rich which would be the same symptom...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts