Chevy C10 Truck Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1964 C-10-383 stroker-12 bolt posi & 1977 shortbox- nasty 454- 12 bolt posi 3:73
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The other day I stopped at the local gas station to fill my two 5 gallon fuel jugs with non-ethanol gas. When I pulled up I noticed a nice 69 Camaro at one of the pumps. As I was finishing filling my jugs, he tried to start it and..low battery. I helped him push it into a parking stall and we looked to make sure his terminals were tight.

I was in my newer Silverado and even if jumper cables were available, I wouldn't be able to jump him. Plenty of stories where alternator diodes get fried or worse in these newer vehicles. It's not worth the risk. I have seen similar small jump boxes available at Costco and wondered how they worked.

So this is an interesting article that explains some important points.
Gas Wood Luggage and bags Bumper Font

·
Super Moderator
606 Posts
I stopped giving jump starts many years ago when there was evidence that it could damage the electricals on donor vehicle . Bought a larger power pack / combi unit so could use that if any friends / family needed it in emergency . Saying that it's now mostly used to blow up inflatables and tires or emergency lighting or power socket . Just had to buy a new charger unit for it last week . I still carry jump leads and tow rope, dont know why , old habits die hard . Those small units are very handy and take up no space

·
Super Moderator
1964 C-10-383 stroker-12 bolt posi & 1977 shortbox- nasty 454- 12 bolt posi 3:73
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm wondering, if you throw one in the truck..how long it will last? I guess if it's a lithium battery, it should be good for a long time.

·
Super Moderator
606 Posts
Probably last till the day you finally have a need for it and then you'll find it's flat :) I would charge / top it up every 6 months despite what they say it should last for , just to be safe

·
Premium Member
1962 shortbed 235 3 on tree
16 Posts
I bought zero gravity microstart for my kids as they are always leaving stuff on in their cars usually in their driveways. I keep one handy as well and it seems to hold a charge for a long time and if you lose power you can charge your phone.

·
Super Moderator
606 Posts
I bought zero gravity microstart for my kids as they are always leaving stuff on in their cars usually in their driveways. I keep one handy as well and it seems to hold a charge for a long time and if you lose power you can charge your phone.
Seems common occurrence . First car my daughter had , and in winter , sitting round at her friends house with ignition only on and music playing away and heater on etc. Then I got the call " car wont start , can you come round " End of the day it was down to me for not teaching her better , she didn't know it would flatten the battery , little things like that we take for granted

1 - 6 of 6 Posts