Chevy C10 Truck Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know the patina is a "IN" thing right now and I liked my sunbaked truck the first year I owned the truck but now I am already tired of it. I do not want a meticulous show paint job but I want to freshen the truck and help it look better I will put it in a few shows but at the end of the day it is still my driver pick up that will be used to haul things. I love white vehicles especially matte white. SEM has a " Hot Rod White" that looks awesome I gave thought about going that route. I had a customer spray a '53 Bel Air with white epoxy primer then do a candy red roof with lace and it looked great. I thought about going that route with the epoxy primer then having some purple incorporated in. I friggin hate red.

I had meeting today at lunch with couple of people from one of our paint company vendors and my truck got brought up I told them about some of the ideas I had. One of the guys brought up that have a new matte clear coming out towards the end of the year and they might need a guinea pig vehicle to do some new product training on for the reps in the region. That has me a little excited. I still don't know 100% about what I want to do but it's time for a fresh look.

What is everyone else thoughts on patina

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
Patina is ok too a point, but everyone has run it into the ground, trucks that have a small amount is not bad, just not a fan anymore, given the consensus on FB it`s just about run its course people are looking for something new without costing an arm and a leg..

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
Patina never really did it for me. How ever I was hooked on Flat black for a while. Then changed to black gloss. Now I think I just look around and see what trips my triger. Good luck with your choice. It ain't easy.
anim_25

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
after some discussions today I am leaning toward white epoxy primer. Now I need to start bodywork. I need to find a good drivers side fender I think a patch panel will work on the passengers side. If I can find a passenger side bedside for a decent price i'll toss that on.

Maybe after a few years of the epoxy primer i'll be on to a top notch paint job. Maybe by then I will have a full size shop to do a complete tear down.

·
Registered
11 Posts
after some discussions today I am leaning toward white epoxy primer. Now I need to start bodywork. I need to find a good drivers side fender I think a patch panel will work on the passengers side. If I can find a passenger side bedside for a decent price i'll toss that on.

Maybe after a few years of the epoxy primer i'll be on to a top notch paint job. Maybe by then I will have a full size shop to do a complete tear down.
The issue with epoxy primer is that it has no UV resistance. In no time it will chalk out, and in time will lose it's resistance to moisture.

·
Registered
65 Posts
The issue with epoxy primer is that it has no UV resistance. In no time it will chalk out, and in time will lose it's resistance to moisture.
I agree with you. I have never painted a car but I have painted a lot of motorcycles. In fact I was in business for a short time painting bikes. As I was learning to paint, all the painters and paint reps I talked to told me the same thing. Primer will absorb water and the metal underneath will begin to rust. And like you said it has no UV protection so it’s not a good idea to use it as a base coat. If you want a flat look spray the color you want then clear it with a flat clear.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I did a 67 Nova in SEM hot rod flat black. Turned out great. It has UV protection. You can clean bugs off with Windex. Doesn't stain when you fill the gas tank. Don't have to wax it.

I'm just finishing a 68 C10. It was two tone. White top green body. It was from the CA desert and it had the prefect patina. Not rust patina, paint baked off to the dark primer underneath patina. I asked my wife if we should leave it patina or paint it something shiny. She said shiny. Oh and now it's really red.

I think patina is like the way street rods were painted all one color in the 90's. Body, bumpers and all trim one color. Dates them big time and reduces their resale value.

Just my .02

1 - 7 of 7 Posts