Chevy C10 Truck Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My '65 with 327/2barrel has a lifter that is intermittently noisy. I conveniently have an oil leak at the back intake gasket, so why not pull the intake and replace the lifters at the same time?

I understand there is an important break-in process for new cam/lifter installations. So, is it standard practice to replace only the lifters on an existing cam?

I could replace both cam and lifters, but I really don't want more performance or reason to put a 4 barrel carb on it. I'm afraid a new cam will be followed by a high rise intake and a 4 barrel. I have little willpower. Then next will be a close ratio 4 speed......it already has a 4:11 gear in it.

Thoughts on new lifter/old cam combo?

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
Just changing the lifters will work fine... I would look CLOSE at the bottom of the ones you pull out, if any or even one is dished I'd change the cam and lifters. I guess what you put in after that would be up to you. I too have little will power when it comes to building POWER anim_25

·
Registered
56 Posts
Just changing the lifters will work fine... I would look CLOSE at the bottom of the ones you pull out, if any or even one is dished I'd change the cam and lifters. I guess what you put in after that would be up to you. I too have little will power when it comes to building POWER _25
Probably need to check the ends of the push rods and rocker arms too.. If the lifters are dished the cam is flat and needs replacing also if that is the case the timing chain-gears and cam bushings.....kinda like drinking outa a spitoon sometimes you get started and its hard to stop..

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, thanks cookseyb. I can see that. I guess the initial inspection will tell a lot.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Make sure you use an assembly lube and a good quality break in oil with lots of zinc or you will be doing the job over again. I know Amsoil sells these but you could find something more local.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts