Chevy C10 Truck Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, Ive made some progress on my 62 C10 with a 250,
Ive rebuilt the carb, and cleaned and added a strainer to the fuel tank, and she runs!
but only on 5, pulled plugs and did compression on number 6 because that was the wet one, 40lbs
blah
pulled rocker cover off and found intake rocker for number 6 off,
so I put it back on and lo and behold she's good!
but,,but I mean it,,but
I'm thinking GUNK everywhere, I'm thinking lifters sticky??
I need to adjust rockers, because they are all over the place, tight, and loose
and only one squirts oil,,i need to pull all of them and clean pushrods,,
tomorrow project.
I want to change the oil, and do everything she needs but don't want to do it twice.

my question is this
is there a safe adjustment for sticky hyd lifters?
just run em loose until I free it all up?
my plan is to let her run with atf for awhile and drop oil and change filter..
any advice?
thanks for reading

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
If the engine is all gunked up I would clean as good as possible then change oil and filter. Then run it till it got hot. clean it again and changer oil again. You don't want that gunk getting into your bearings atf added to the oil will help but not atf alone. You may wind up pulling the pan to get it all clean.anim_25

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
You`re on the right track, did this once, what a pain in the butt, finally ended up just tearing it down for clean up, bearing, rings and honing, and gaskets replacement...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks guys, upon further reflection I'm going to drop the very old filter and oil, then add some aft to the new oil and run that and hope the sludge won't plug stuff up worse. Atf is pretty good at cleaning and I hope it keeps the dirt and grime in suspension. The fuel tank line out was plugged solid, although not related its a good indicator just how long this truck has been sitting.
its kinda like archaeology now.
Every clue keeps pointing me back into the past off this old mare.
16coffee
time for some coffee before i set out.
rebuilding is not in the program for now, she doesn't even smoke!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Just before you change the oil and filter you can add about 3-4 quarts of diesel to the oil. Let it IDLE for a few minutes ( 3=4) then drain and change everything. If it is really gunked up this should help. I've done this in the past to my Grannies car and it cleaned all kinds of crud out. Tear down and vatting is best but this might help get you get a little further down the road before you have to do that.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts