Chevy C10 Truck Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 1965 inline 6 has a rear main leak, 230 ci. Can this be fixed with out the removal of the motor ??

Stepsider65

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
If you have clearance to drop pan yes, you may have to lift it slightly...., I`ve never done one on a six....

·
Registered
56 Posts
My 1965 inline 6 has a rear main leak, 230 ci. Can this be fixed with out the removal of the motor ??

Stepsider65
That is probably a "Rope Seal" and can be a bear to get the top part out without a packing puller. I maybe wrong but I think they make a aftermarket two piece seal to fit.

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
last one I changed was a rope seal. bought in kit form it came with a special knife to trim it to fit. Maybe best way put new half seal in tighten crank back agenist seal then lower crank. Then use knife to trim so you don't cut it to short. Not hard to do but not fun either

·
Registered
56 Posts
last one I changed was a rope seal. bought in kit form it came with a special knife to trim it to fit. Maybe best way put new half seal in tighten crank back agenist seal then lower crank. Then use knife to trim so you don't cut it to short. Not hard to do but not fun either
Yep, don't forget to soak the seal in oil overnight or it won't swell and it will not seal very well because the graphite will sear over and leak worse than before.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts