Chevy C10 Truck Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I'm new to the forums I recently (this morning) made a login but have been reading your post a while a now. I have a 1966 with a 383stroker from a 73 camaro she's been running strong up until today around lunchtime. Decided after making a login to take the truck to lunch so I fired her up and let her warm up. Jumped in drove 5 miles down the road to my local spot and munched out in a hurry. After eating I get back in the truck and notice after she warms up my oil pressure dropped to 25psi when it's usually 45psi when warm. Two days ago I changed the plugs and switched from mobile 1 50weight to vavoline vr1 50weight and haven't moved the truck until today. No clue what I could of done to loose that much oil pressure from an oil change or plugs. If anyone has any ideas please chim in hope it's not time to pull her for a rebuild. :mad:

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
My guess is the viscosity is different between the oils 25PSI is more than you need in that engine. 45 seems a lot to me when hot. 50 weight is heavy oil for a street engine.. I don't THINK there is anything to worry about.

OH sign0016 to C10 Trucks Enjoy your stay

did you change brands of filters?? I don't recall which one but there is a brand out there that puts you into bypass almost right away

OK its the Delco filters to watch out for use WIX or Napa

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
As Charlie said too much viscosity...straight 30 weight, valvoline would be a better choice for your location.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey guys thanks for the replies I plan on switching back to Mobile 1 but decrease it to 40wt(miles unknown). Charlie I'm running a KN hp3002 which is what has been on the motor for the last 1000 miles. I switched from champions to autolites plugs and she seems to burn a little too rich around 11.5 at idle on the widebands so I'll be playing around with that too. I'm a curious to pull it just to see what the internals look like and replace some seals. My neighbor has a crashed vette with a ls3 full drive train 40k miles he's only asking 4k thought about it loll beer

·
Registered
129 Posts
The high zinc oils like Valvoline are best for high performance engines, I think you just went a little too high on the viscosity. I use the VR1 straight 40w. I'm sure they have a 30w too if that is preferred.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Previous oil was Mobile 1 50wt and the previous owner ran 50wt as well. I noticed today the belts running rough main pulley looks to be off so I'll be checking that out next week.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts