Chevy C10 Truck Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning!

I've been dealing with an odd exhaust issue that appears to be originating from the flapper valve on the passenger side manifold. After restarting (hot engine) and driving for any period of time, the flapper valve sounds like it's bouncing around inside the exhaust, along with what sounds like an exhaust leak (ticking). It only does this after a hot restart.

Might there be a solution to this, other than investing in headers?

Thanks,
Chuck

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
Good morning!

I've been dealing with an odd exhaust issue that appears to be originating from the flapper valve on the passenger side manifold. After restarting (hot engine) and driving for any period of time, the flapper valve sounds like it's bouncing around inside the exhaust, along with what sounds like an exhaust leak (ticking). It only does this after a hot restart.

Might there be a solution to this, other than investing in headers?

Thanks,
Chuck
The exhaust heat riser valve does bounce to some extent, that is how they are designed, if it was stable then in most cases stuck which would mean you need to pull it to free it up, as far as the exhaust ticking if it is coming from the same area means a exhaust leak which you`ll need to replace the gaskets at the head or the heat riser donut gasket.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Understood. Why I finally resorted to asking here online was because I have replaced everything (manifold, gasket, and exhaust donut gasket), so I'm stumped as to what the next step should be.

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
Understood. Why I finally resorted to asking here online was because I have replaced everything (manifold, gasket, and exhaust donut gasket), so I'm stumped as to what the next step should be.
Tracking the ticking can be tedious, may want to try using length of PVC ( held to your ear) pipe as a sounding tube hold at various points on the exhaust to determine where the ticking is coming from..

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Update: I unhooked the vacuum line that actuates the valve and haven't heard the sound since. Could this be a long term fix, or can it cause damage? The truck runs and sounds great!

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
Update: I unhooked the vacuum line that actuates the valve and haven't heard the sound since. Could this be a long term fix, or can it cause damage? The truck runs and sounds great!
Chuck what year truck and engine....?

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
If you unhook the vacuum hose ensure that the valve is open, even if you have to wire it open..and plug the vacuum hose. You may want to start thinking about replacing the valve assembly..

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
That works too..!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts