Chevy C10 Truck Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My goal is to use my C10 to tow our 1965 Mallard camper. What I'm finding is the hitch companies only list '63-up. Are the frames the same or close enough to use a '63-up hitch? Is there someone that make a hitch for the '61? I'd rather not go with a "universal" hitch.

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
My goal is to use my C10 to tow our 1965 Mallard camper. What I'm finding is the hitch companies only list '63-up. Are the frames the same or close enough to use a '63-up hitch? Is there someone that make a hitch for the '61? I'd rather not go with a "universal" hitch.
Frames are four inches wider on the `60 to `62 chevy and GMC trucks in the rear.
In `63 they narrowed the frame down remained the same thru `66.

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
Mine was off a late model Suburban. It was wider than the frame on my 72. I just cut both ends off cut the box tubing out of the mounting plates and welded it back together. I have done this many times before with no problems.

Attachments

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hitch

At that time pickups came with no bumpers, they were "Dealer Options" Many dealers here in Texas supplied good steel bumpers,usually 4' channel with a place for a ball and the dealer name stamped in the bumper. Anything stronger was a trip to the local welding shop. Lawyers and Product liability insurance pretty much shut that practice down. FWIW

·
Registered
32 Posts
lawyers & Insurance companies my all time favorites

I wouldn't mind finding a Huffines Chevrolet stamped bumper since that is where mine was bought new. surely there is a few laying around in DFW

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mine was off a late model Suburban. It was wider than the frame on my 72. I just cut both ends off cut the box tubing out of the mounting plates and welded it back together. I have done this many times before with no problems.
That's a solid option!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts